Historic Church Tours 2021: English Gothic to Revival in East Kent
Non Member: £75.00
Join us to discover an eclectic mix of Kent churches.
Please note all tours will be assessed for Covid safety in line with any Government directions that apply at that point in time with full refunds available in the event of cancellation.
There is an incredible range of architecture to be seen on this tour in East Kent. We begin the tour at St Augustine’s, Ramsgate which was the personal project of the renowned architect Augustus Pugin, most famous for designing “Big Ben,” and his other work on the Houses of Parliament.
Next discover a fascinating mix of architectural features at St Mary’s, Sandwich.There remains substantial parts of a large Norman church, despite the town having been sacked by the French in the thirteenth and fifteenth centuries, an earthquake in the sixteenth and the collapse of the tower in the seventeenth!
At St Peter's, Sandwich much of the building dates from 800 years ago, though like St Mary’s, it has been altered many times. Enjoy the view from the handsome tower with its distinctive onion dome top - a 17th century addition built by Flemish protestant refugees, in the style of their homeland churches.
Moving to the beautiful North Downs to visit All Saints, Waldershare enjoy the wondrous memorials – the south chapel of 1697 contains a touching memorial to the Bertie family, with life-size marble figures of a husband and wife holding hands. In the north chapel is a fantastical monument to Sir Henry Furness (d. 1712) tiered like a wedding cake and flanked by statues of women mourners and cherubs, it almost scrapes the ceiling.
Our final stop of the day is St Peter’s, Swingfield. The church has much to discover including a fourteenth century porch with two medieval ‘Mass Dials’ and a 14th century font.
English Gothic to Revival in East Kent FAQs
- What is the tour capacity? We have enough room for 30 guests on this tour, so book early to avoid disappointment!
- Where at Ramsgate train station will we be meeting? We will be meeting outside the main entrance to the train station.
- I would like to stay in the local area the night before. Are there any hotels near the train station that you would recommend? There are several hotels a 20 minute walk or 10 minute drive away on the seafront including a Travelodge, and the Royal Harbour Hotel.
- I am planning to drive to Ramsgate. What parking arrangements are available near the train station and how much does it cost to park? There are 44 spaces at Ramsgate station carpark and the daily rate is 4.70
- How frequently do trains arrive and depart from Ramsgate train station? Services between Ramsgate and London depart from St Pancras or Victoria several times an hour. For more information on times and fares please see National Rail Enquiries.
- What are the lunch arrangements? Lunch arrangements will be finalised closer to the date of the tour.
- Who will be the guide/lead on tour? So that we can deliver the highest quality experience in collaboration with the best local experts, we are not yet able to confirm who will be leading this tour. However, we will confirm with attendees who will lead this tour nearer to the start date.
- How do I notify you of dietary requirements? You can notify us of any dietary requirements when making your booking over the phone or when completing a paper booking form. If we have not been able to capture your dietary requirements when making your booking then please email us at [email protected] or call us on 0800 206 1463.
- What is the cancellation/refund policy? If you are no longer able to make the tour after booking then please let us know as soon as possible. If you cancel your booking more than one month before the tour start date, then you will be entitled to a full refund. If you cancel within one month of your tour then unfortunately we are not able to offer a refund, however we will do our best to offer you a place on another tour.