Historic Church Tours 2018 - Hampshire Highlights - SOLD OUT
Non Member: £70.00
Discover a beautifully diverse selection of our Hampshire churches.
THIS TOUR HAS NOW SOLD OUT. PLEASE CALL 0800 206 1463 IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO BE ADDED TO THE WAITING LIST.
The current church of St Nicholas’, Freefolk, has stood since the 13th century; although the church’s interior character derives much from its remodelling in the 18th century. Once inside, the bold colours of its paintings and intricate details such as the carved monument to Sir Richard Powlett will dazzle you.
Whitchurch Silk Mill, a short drive from St Nicholas’, was built in 1815 and is the UK’s oldest silk mill still in occupying its original building. We will explore the history of the building and how the mill is still weaving silk using the same 19th-century machinery.
After lunch, we continue to the Victorian jewel of St Mary’s, Itchen Stoke. A truly exhilarating building, the church is clearly inspired by the 13th-century Saint Chapelle in Paris, chapel to the French Kings. While here, take in the kaleidoscopic patterns created by the many elements of the church’s interior, in particular its beautiful stained glass windows.
Our final stop is Holy Trinity, Privett. Its soaring spire, which can be seen above the treetops from the surrounding countryside, will greet us we make our approach. The church was funded by a local benefactor, William Nicholson, and is decorated in the Medieval style, completed with Italian-style marble mosaic floors.
Meeting point and timings: Meet at Winchester station at 10.00, returning to the train station by 17.00.
What is included: One-day coach tours include lunch, entrance fees to non-CCT sites where appropriate, and travel to and from the named station to each of the listed sites.
How to book: The easiest way to book is online, simply click on the ‘Book Now’ button above and complete the online booking process. Alternatively, download and print a booking form, returning it to us at ‘The Churches Conservation Trust, Society House, 8 All Saints Street, London, N1 9RL’, or call us on 0800 206 1463 (Mon-Fri; 09.30-17.00).
Once your booking has been processed, you will be sent a booking confirmation. Your tour itinerary, which will provide you with more detailed tour information including approximate timings of the day, will be sent to you 7-10 days before the start of the tour.
Please note: On all of our tours there is at the very least a fair amount of walking, quite often over worn and uneven surfaces. They are not suitable for anyone with difficulties with everyday walking and stair climbing. All tour details are correct at the time of publication. In the event that details are changed, guests will be notified as soon as possible.
If you have any concerns or questions relating to the tour then please call us on 0800 206 1463 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hampshire Highlights FAQs
- What is the tour capacity? We have enough room for 20 guests on this tour, so book early to avoid disappointment!
- Where at Winchester train station will we be meeting? We will be meeting outside the main entrance by Station Road.
- I would like to stay in the local area the night before. Are there any hotels near the train station that you would recommend? The Westgate and The Winchester Hotel are both short walks from the train station. For more hotels, see Visit Winchester’s website.
- I am planning to drive to Winchester. What parking arrangements are available near the train station and how much does it cost to park? There is a car park at Winchester train station that has 411 spaces. The daily rate is £8.
- How frequently do trains arrive and depart from Winchester train station? Direct services between Winchester and London depart from Waterloo every 15 minutes. Winchester is also served by direct services from other stations including Poole, Newcastle and Southampton Central. For more information on times and fares please see National Rail Enquiries.
- What are the lunch arrangements? We will be enjoying lunch at Whitchurch Silk Mill.
- Who will be the guide/lead on tour? So that we can deliver the highest quality experience in collaboration with the best local experts, we are not yet able to confirm who will be leading this tour. Once you have booked on, however, we will confirm with you who will lead this tour nearer to the start date.
- How do I notify you of dietary requirements? You can notify us of any dietary requirements when making your booking over the phone or when completing a paper booking form. If we have not been able to capture your dietary requirements when making your booking then please email us at email@example.com or call us on 0800 206 1463.
- What is the cancellation/refund policy? If you are no longer able to make the tour after booking then please let us know as soon as possible. If you cancel your booking more than one month before the tour start date, then you will be entitled to a full refund. If you cancel within one month of your tour then unfortunately we are not able to offer a refund, however we will do our best to offer you a place on another tour.