Historic Church Tours 2018 - Exeter at Christmas
Non Member: £60.00
The Christmas Market will play backdrop to a journey around some of Exeter's most iconic landmarks.
Our Exeter walking tour begins with the ancient parish churches of St Stephen’s and St Pancras’. St Stephen’s, mentioned in the Domesday Book, stood opposite what was formerly the medieval Guildhall. St Pancras, a short walk away, is thought to be the oldest Christian site of worship in Exeter.
We continue to our wonderful St Martin’s. The church, which has been a site of worship for nearly a thousand years, sits in one corner of Exeter’s historic Cathedral Close. Widely considered the most important and complete of Exeter’s city-centre churches, we will explore in greater depth its roughcast exterior and simple interior full of magnificent monuments.
Following from St Martin’s we will make our way to Exeter Guildhall, the seat of civic government in the city for over 800 years. The Guildhall has served many functions during this time including as a prison, court and venue for music entertainment.
Our final stop of the day will be Exeter Cathedral. We will enjoy a tour of the Cathedral, exploring some of its most important interior features including its famous astronomical clock, the earliest complete set of misericords in the United Kingdom and the longest uninterrupted vaulted ceiling in England.
Meeting point and timings: Meet at Exeter St David’s train station at 10.00, returning to the train station by 17.00.
What is included: The price of the tour includes lunch and, where applicable, entrance fees.
How to book: The easiest way to book is online, simply click on the ‘Book Now’ button above and complete the online booking process. Alternatively, download and print a booking form, returning it to us at ‘The Churches Conservation Trust, Society House, 8 All Saints Street, London, N1 9RL’, or call us on 0800 206 1463 (Mon-Fri; 09.30-17.00).
Once your booking has been processed, you will be sent a booking confirmation. Your tour itinerary, which will provide you with more detailed tour information including approximate timings of the day, will be sent to you 7-10 days before the start of the tour.
Please note: On all of our tours there is at the very least a fair amount of walking, quite often over worn and uneven surfaces. They are not suitable for anyone with difficulties with everyday walking and stair climbing. All tour details are correct at the time of publication. In the event that details are changed, guests will be notified as soon as possible.
If you have any concerns or questions relating to the tour then please call us on 0800 206 1463 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Exeter at Christmas FAQs
- What is the tour capacity? We have enough room for 20 guests on this tour, so book early to avoid disappointment!
- Where at Exeter St David’s train station will we be meeting? We will be meeting outside the main entrance.
- I would like to stay in the local area the night before. Are there any hotels near the train station that you would recommend? Premier Inn Exeter Central is a short walk from the train station. For more hotels, see Visit Exeter’s website.
- I am planning to drive to Exeter. What parking arrangements are available near the train station and how much does it cost to park? There is a APCOA-operated car park at Exeter St David’s train station with 204 spaces. The daily rate is £10.40.
- How frequently do trains arrive and depart from Exeter St David’s train station? Direct services between Norwich and London depart from Paddington and Waterloo 2-3 times an hour. Exeter St David’s is also served by direct services from other stations including Penzance and Plymouth. For more information on times and fares please see National Rail Enquiries.
- What are the lunch arrangements? We will be enjoying lunch at The Canopy.
- Who will be the guide/lead on tour? So that we can deliver the highest quality experience in collaboration with the best local experts, we are not yet able to confirm who will be leading this tour. Once you have booked on, however, we will confirm with you who will lead this tour nearer to the start date.
- How do I notify you of dietary requirements? You can notify us of any dietary requirements when making your booking over the phone or when completing a paper booking form. If we have not been able to capture your dietary requirements when making your booking then please email us at email@example.com or call us on 0800 206 1463.
- What is the cancellation/refund policy? If you are no longer able to make the tour after booking then please let us know as soon as possible. If you cancel your booking more than one month before the tour start date, then you will be entitled to a full refund. If you cancel within one month of your tour then unfortunately we are not able to offer a refund, however we will do our best to offer you a place on another tour.