Historic Church Tours 2021: Gems of Cotswolds
Non Member: £75.00
Explore some of our most charming churches in this idyllic Cotswolds setting.
Please note all tours will be assessed for Covid safety in line with any Government directions that apply at that point in time with full refunds available in the event of cancellation.
Our first stop St Kenelm's, Sapperton, is renowned for its collection of ornate memorials dating from the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries. In addition to the memorials there are a series of beautifully carved and highly unusual Jacobean pew-ends depicting male and female figures. Not originally from the church, they were donated by The 1st Earl of Bathurst from the banqueting hall of the nearby Sapperton Manor House when it was demolished in 1730.
Next we will travel to St Saviour's, Tetbury. This magnificent Victorian church was built in a fabulously ornate medieval style and was intended for the poor of the parish, who could not afford to pay for seats in Tetbury's other church, St Mary's. Constructed of local stone and Cotswold slates, it was designed by a local architect Samuel Dawkes, assisted by A W Pugin and John Hardman.
At St Michael & St Martin's, Eastleach, this picture postcard Medieval church stands in a gently sloping churchyard by the river Leach. The church is linked to it's sister church by a stone clapper bridge known as Keble's Bridge after its nineteenth-century curate John Keble, a much-loved poet and Oxford scholar.
Our final stop of St John Baptist - known as the 'Cathedral of the Cotswolds' - is one of the largest parish churches in England and has been a place of Christian worship for well over a thousand years. The church interior includes five chapels and an assortment of historical artefacts including a 14th century font, a 15th century pulpit, fragments of wall paintings, coats of arms, a collection of tombs and memorials, often very ornate, and the Anne Boleyn cup, given by Anne to a local doctor (Richard Master) who treated her, and presented to the church in 1561.
Gems of the Cotswolds FAQs
- What is the tour capacity? We have enough room for 20 guests on this tour, so book early to avoid disappointment!
- Where at Kemble train station will we be meeting? We will be meeting outside the main entrance to the train station.
- I would like to stay in the local area the night before. Are there any hotels near the train station that you would recommend? There is a Premier Inn a 10 minute drive from the station, or several local B&Bs including the Well Cottage Bed and Breakfast.
- I am planning to drive to Kemble. What parking arrangements are available near the train station and how much does it cost to park? There are 339 car parking spaces in the carpark at Kemble Station and the daily rate is £3.70.
- How frequently do trains arrive and depart from Kemble train station? Services between London Paddington and Kemble depart hourly. Kemble is also served directly by Cheltenham Spa and Swindon. For more information on times and fares please see National Rail Enquiries.
- What are the lunch arrangements? We are currently finalising the lunch arrangements for the tour. We will be able to confirm the lunch venue with attendees nearer to the start date.
- Who will be the guide/lead on tour? So that we can deliver the highest quality experience in collaboration with the best local experts, we are not yet able to confirm who will be leading this tour. However, we will confirm with attendees who will lead this tour nearer to the start date.
- How do I notify you of dietary requirements? You can notify us of any dietary requirements when making your booking over the phone or when completing a paper booking form. If we have not been able to capture your dietary requirements when making your booking then please email us at [email protected] or call us on 0800 206 1463.
- What is the cancellation/refund policy? If you are no longer able to make the tour after booking then please let us know as soon as possible. If you cancel your booking more than one month before the tour start date, then you will be entitled to a full refund. If you cancel within one month of your tour then unfortunately we are not able to offer a refund, however we will do our best to offer you a place on another tour.