Historic Church Tours 2021: Mayflower Pilgrims in Nottinghamshire
Non Member: £75.00
Over 400 years since the Mayflower sailed from England and discover the roots of a treasonous movement which went against religious practices of the time resulting in secrecy, imprisonment and even death.
Please note all tours will be assessed for Covid safety in line with any Government directions that apply at that point in time with full refunds available in the event of cancellation.
We begin the day by visiting the medieval church of St Martin of Tours, Saundby, which was a strong Puritan parish. Within the church discover a memorial to Gervase Helwys who was executed in 1615. The escape boat for the Mayflower Pilgrim Fathers and the Baptists of the future was hired in his name.
Our next stop is St Helena’s, Austerfield, where William Bradford, the first governor of Massachusetts was baptised and sailed on the Mayflower. Look out for this scene depicted in stained glass within the church.
Enjoy lunch before moving onto to St Wilfred's, Scrooby. Scrooby harbored a Separatist Puritan group, 1606–8, who fled to Holland in 1608 and then in 1620 sailed to America on the Mayflower. William Brewster also worshipped here.
The last stop of the day will be St Wilfred’s, Low Marnham which was home to a succession of radical priests including Richard Clyfton who emigrated to the Netherlands.
Mayflower Pilgrims in Nottinghamshire FAQs
- What is the tour capacity? We have enough room for 25 guests on this tour, so book early to avoid disappointment!
- Where at Retford train station will we be meeting? We will be meeting outside the main entrance to the train station.
- I would like to stay in the local area the night before. Are there any hotels near the train station that you would recommend? There are several hotels nearby the station including the Kings Park Hotel, Best Western and The Lawns Guest House.
- I am planning to drive to Retford. What parking arrangements are available near the train station and how much does it cost to park? Parking is available at Retford Station at a cost of £10 for the day. Alternatively you could park at the nearby Victoria Road Car Park at a cost of £5 for the day.
- How frequently do trains arrive and depart from Retford train station? Direct services between Retford and London Kings Cross depart every hour. Retford is also served by direct services from other stations including Doncaster, Sheffield and Leeds.
- What are the lunch arrangements? Lunch arrangements will be confirmed closer to the date of the tour.
- Who will be the guide/lead on tour? The tour will be guided by Adrian Gray – Local Historian and CCT Volunteer – Author of ‘From Here We Changed the World: Amazing Stories of Pilgrim and Rebels from North Nottinghamshire and West Lincolnshire'
- How do I notify you of dietary requirements? You can notify us of any dietary requirements when making your booking online, over the phone or when completing a paper booking form. If we have not been able to capture your dietary requirements when making your booking then please email us at [email protected] or call us on 0800 206 1463.
- What is the cancellation/refund policy? If you are no longer able to make the tour after booking then please let us know as soon as possible. If you cancel your booking more than one month before the tour start date, then you will be entitled to a full refund. If you cancel within one month of your tour then unfortunately we are not able to offer a refund, however we will do our best to offer you a place on another tour.