Church of St Martin of Tours, Saundby, Nottinghamshire

Address:
Gainsborough Road, East Retford, Nottinghamshire, DN22 9ER
How to find us | Access information
Opening times:
Following the raising of the Local COVID Alert Level across Nottinghamshire to Very High (Tier 3) with Additional Measures on 30 October 2020, this church is currently closed to the public.
  • Overview
  • Map
  • What's nearby
  • Feedback

You can now help support the work of the Churches Conservation Trust in caring for Saundby by text:

To donate £5 please send SAU to 70970

To give £10 please send SAU to 70191

An exceptional example of good restoration

This medieval church has an impressive pinnacled tower dated 1504. However, following some exceptionally sympathetic nineteenth century restoration it is hard to tell where the medieval fabric ends and Victorian work begins. The north aisle seems to be wholly nineteenth century though it was probably built on medieval foundations.

Outstanding features include a fourteenth-century effigy, a monument of 1599 and an excellent cycle of stained glass by the renowned Victorian designer Charles Kempe completed between 1885-1890.

Comment