Historic Church Tours 2019 - The Best of Somerset
Non Member: £70.00
Explore the best that Somerset has to offer with a tour featuring four of the county’s finest historic churches.
We start the day at St. Nicholas’ in Brockley. The church developed during the 12th and 13th centuries from a small Norman building before it. A local family, the Piggotts, added a spacious family pew with a separate entrance and fireplace in the south transept. Once inside, look out for a Norman font and 15th-century stone pulpit.
‘The Leaning Tower of the Levels', Holy Saviour’s in Puxton is our second stop. Earthwork at the site has produced evidence of a settlement dating between the 10th and 13th centuries while the church dates from a later period. Its interior is light and rustic with fine 18th-century oak box pews and Jacobean furnishings.
We kick off the afternoon with a tour of the Thatcher’s Cider Orchard and Mill in Sandford. The Thatcher family have been making cider at their Myrtle Farm home since 1904 and we will get to see how it’s done! There will also be the additional opportunity to try some of their cider for yourself (a small supplement can be paid on the day should you wish to do so).
Once we have torn ourselves away from Myrtle Farm we will make our way to our penultimate church, St James’ in Cameley. Described as Somerset’s ‘Sleeping Beauty’ and set in a valley of the River Cam, St James’ is an unpretentious and delightful church. Keep an eye out for its wall paintings and unspoilt interior.
Last but not least is the Church of St. Thomas a Beckett in Pensford. We take care of the 14th-century tower (the rest this church has been converted to a residential space!) but we hope you will agree that the setting is both dramatic and stunning. The River Chew runs alongside the church and railway viaduct arches provides a fitting backdrop to close our tour before heading back to Bristol Temple Meads.
Please note that on all of our tours there is at the very at least a fair amount of walking, quite often over uneven and worn surfaces. They are not suitable for anyone with difficulties with everyday walking and stair-climbing. In some cases coaches may not be able to park near the church and there may be walking over uneven land or tracks when approaching the church building. If you have any concerns please contact us on 0800 206 1463 before booking.
The Best of Somerset FAQs
- What is the tour capacity? We have enough room for 20 guests on this tour, so book early to avoid disappointment!
- Where at Bristol Temple Meads train station will we be meeting? We will be meeting outside the main entrance to the train station on Station Approach.
- I would like to stay in the local area the night before. Are there any hotels near the train station that you would recommend? Ibis Bristol Temple Meads Quay is a short walk from the train station. For more hotels, see Visit Bristol’s website.
- I am planning to drive to Bristol. What parking arrangements are available near the train station and how much does it cost to park? The APCOA-operated car park at the train station has 320. The day rate is £18.30.
- How frequently do trains arrive and depart from Bristol Temple Meads train station? Direct services between Bristol Temple Meads and London depart from Paddington four times an hour. Bristol Temple Meads is also served by direct services from other stations including Plymouth, Brighton and Edinburgh Waverley. For more information on times and fares please see National Rail Enquiries.
- What are the lunch arrangements? This will be confirmed nearer to the start date.
- Who will be the guide/lead on tour? So that we can deliver the highest quality experience in collaboration with the best local experts, we are not yet able to confirm who will be leading this tour. Once you have booked on, however, we will confirm with you who will lead this tour nearer to the start date.
- How do I notify you of dietary requirements? You can notify us of any dietary requirements when making your booking online, over the phone or when completing a paper booking form. If we have not been able to capture your dietary requirements when making your booking then please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on 0800 206 1463.
- What is the cancellation/refund policy? If you are no longer able to make the tour after booking then please let us know as soon as possible. If you cancel your booking more than one month before the tour start date, then you will be entitled to a full refund. If you cancel within one month of your tour then unfortunately we are not able to offer a refund, however we will do our best to offer you a place on another tour.