Historic Church Tours 2019 - Cumbria and Lady Anne Clifford
Non Member: £70.00
Explore Cumbria and the story of Lady Anne Clifford in a tour not for the faint-hearted.
Our Cumbria churches are notoriously remote but this tour offers the chance to visit one of our finest whilst showcasing the area's link to Lady Anne Clifford. Anne was a remarkable woman who fought tirelessly throughout her life to obtain the lawful rights of her inheritance.
We begin at Brougham Hall. Originally built in the 14th century, and bought by Lady Anne Clifford in 1654, it is one of England's largest country house restoration projects. The estate church of St. Wilfred's Chapel was restored by Anne in the late 1650s and will be our next stop on the tour.
After lunch we begin our greatest challenge of the day - the walk to St. Ninian's church. Known locally as Ninekirks, St. Ninian's stands remote down a long track, above a bend in the River Eamont, with glorious views over the Pennines and the Lake District. St. Ninian's is in fact so remote that our coach will only be able to get within a 30 minute walk of the church.
Once we have completed our roundtrip from the coach to the church we will embark on our final leg of the tour, to Brougham Castle, inherited by Anne in 1643. Anne spent great effort restoring the castle in the second half of the 17th century. The 13th-century keep has largely survived although after being left to decay from the 18th century onwards and the castle's ruins have inspired many including J.M.W. Turner and William Wordsworth.
Please note: this tour involves coach travel as well as a large amount of walking, including a one hour roundtrip on foot from the coach to St. Ninian's Church. Guests must be in a fit condition to join this tour. If you have any concerns please call us on 0800 206 1463.
All tour details are correct at the time of publishing. Please note that in the event that details are changed, guests will be notified as soon as possible.
Cumbria and Lady Anne Clifford FAQs
- What is the tour capacity? We have enough room for 20 guests on this tour, so book early to avoid disappointment!
- Where at Penrith train station will we be meeting? We will be meeting outside the main entrance to the train station.
- I would like to stay in the local area the night before. Are there any hotels near the train station that you would recommend? Station Hotel is situated across the road from the train station. For more hotels, see Visit Cumbria’s website.
- I am planning to drive to Penrith. What parking arrangements are available near the train station and how much does it cost to park? There is a train station car park operated by Virgin Trains which has 111 spaces. The daily charge is £12.
- How frequently do trains arrive and depart from Penrith train station? Direct services between Penrith and London depart from Euston every hour. Penrith is also served by direct services from other stations including Manchester Piccadilly, Crewe and Edinburgh Waverley. For more information on times and fares please see National Rail Enquiries.
- What are the lunch arrangements? This will be confirmed nearer to the start date.
- Who will be the guide/lead on tour? So that we can deliver the highest quality experience in collaboration with the best local experts, we are not yet able to confirm who will be leading this tour. Once you have booked on, however, we will confirm with you who will lead this tour nearer to the start date.
- How do I notify you of dietary requirements? You can notify us of any dietary requirements when making your booking online, over the phone or when completing a paper booking form. If we have not been able to capture your dietary requirements when making your booking then please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on 0800 206 1463.
- What is the cancellation/refund policy? If you are no longer able to make the tour after booking then please let us know as soon as possible. If you cancel your booking more than one month before the tour start date, then you will be entitled to a full refund. If you cancel within one month of your tour then unfortunately we are not able to offer a refund, however we will do our best to offer you a place on another tour.