St Thomas a Becket Church, Capel, Kent
How to find us
- What's on
- What's nearby
A Thomas À Becket connection
Becket himself is said to have preached in this small Norman Wealden church. The tower was partly rebuilt after a fire in 1639. Inside, the crown-post roof is striking and there are some interesting fittings. Most significant however, are the extensive medieval wallpaintings which cover most of the nave, depicting amongst others Cain and Abel and Christ's entry into Jerusalem. Discover more abut the wallpaintings in this church.
Facilities & Hire
Due to the historic nature of our buildings, only a very small number of them have heating, running water and toilet facilities.The lighting is usually operated via a 'push button' timer or a motion sensor.
Four miles east of Tonbridge off B2017; large car park at rear of church. Follow Historic Church sign either from A228 along Alders Road or B2017 along Church Lane.
Nearest railway station: Paddock Wood (2 miles)
History & Further Information
Why not make your visit more enjoyable and informed by finding out more about this church and the CCT before you visit? You can download a range of publications below including the relevant county guide, and any walk round guides we have for this church.Kent County Guide 2012
This free of charge short guide contains details of all the churches CCT cares for in Kent. Printed copies of the county guide are also available at the church.
The Friends of Capel Church
The Friends assist The Churches Conservation Trust in caring for the church, organising events and raising funds for the building's upkeep.
Useful local links:
- Visit Kent tourism website: www.visitkent.co.uk
- Let's Visit Kent website: www.letsvisit.co.uk
- Best Places to Visit in Kent website: www.kentattractions.co.uk
- Kent History website: www.hereshistorykent.org.uk
- Kent Family History Society: www.kfhs.org.uk
- Kent County Council website history section: www.kent.gov.uk
- Kent Archaeology Society: www.kentarchaeology.org.uk
- Kent Historic Churches website: www.kentchurches.info
- Friends of Kent Churches: www.friendsofkentchurches.co.uk