St Peter's Church, Offord D'Arcy, Cambridgeshire

Address:
High Street, St Neots, Cambridgeshire, PE19 5RH
How to find us | Access information
Opening times:
The key to this church can be borrowed from Offord Village Store, High Street, Offord Cluny, or from The Old Rectory near to the church.
  • Overview
  • Map
  • What's on
  • What's nearby
  • Feedback

An impressive medieval village church

St Peter’s, which is sedately set apart from the village and main road, contains a mixture of craftsmanship from several periods as artisans over the centuries have altered, enlarged and beautified the church; the earliest parts of which were built by the Normans nearly 900 years ago.  Of great interest are the arcades which separate the nave from the aisles, the bold 12th century Norman piers to the north and the graceful south arcade with 14th century Decorated arches.

 

There is much to see here, including beautiful fourteenth-century stone carving in the south aisle's corbel faces and an angle piscina. Examples of the Early English style survive in the chancel; two lancet windows and a double piscina.  Richard Nailour (died 1616), his two wives and many children are remembered in an alabaster monument, and a sixteenth-century rector in academic robes and a fourteenth-century knight in armour are commemorated by brasses.  The splendid stained glass window made by William Glasby forms the Offord D’Arcy War Memorial together with the commemorative plaques beneath.

Comment