St Mary's Church, Stainburn, North Yorkshire
- What's on
- What's nearby
Fine views in a harsh landscape
This enchanting Norman church, with a stone roof and grey sandstone walls, has fine views over Wharfedale. The church seems to have grown out of the harsh land on which it stands. Except for a porch, bell-cote and vestry, its original Norman shape and many original features are retained.
The splendid chancel arch, some of the windows and the well-carved font are all Norman; the roof is late medieval and the robust oak pews are from about 1600. Restoration has been minimal, leaving this as an enchanting place of great antiquity.
13 October 2019 - 13 October 2019
The Friends of St Mary's invite you to their Harvest Festival
A fashion parade of effigies. A church from our finest shortlist.
The oldest church in Leeds. A church from our finest shortlist.
A medieval church with beautiful heraldic glass
There is a gate into the churchyard. There is a step up into the church and wheelchair users might need assistance.
Facilities & Hire
Due to the historic nature of our buildings only a small number have heating, running water and toilet facilities. The lighting is usually operated via a 'push button' timer or a motion sensor.
6 miles south west of Harrogate, off B6161
Nearest railway station: Weeton (2 miles)
History & Further Information
Why not make your visit more enjoyable and informed by finding out more about this church before you visit? You can download a range of publications below including the relevant county guide, and any walk round guides we have for this church.Stainburn St. Mary - Your Church Tour Yorkshire County Guide 2012
This free of charge short guide contains details of all the churches we care for in North, South and West Yorkshire. Printed copies of the county guides are also available at the church.
Useful local links:
- Discover North Yorkshire tourism website: www.discovernorthyorkshire.co.uk
- Days out with the kids in North Yorkshire: www.dayoutwiththekids.co.uk
- North Yorkshire Moors Steam Railway: www.nymr.co.uk
- The City of York and District Family History Society: www.yorkfamilyhistory.org.uk
- Family History Section of Yorkshire Archaeological Society: www.yorkshireroots.org.uk
- Yorkshire Archaeological Society: www.yas.org.uk
- List of churches in North Yorkshire: www.achurchnearyou.com
- Dioceses of Rippon and Leeds: www.riponleeds.anglican.org