All Saints' Church, Harewood, West Yorkshire

Address:
Harewood Park, Leeds, West Yorkshire, LS17 9LG
How to find us | Access information
Opening times:
‘Situated in the grounds of the Harewood Estate, the church is open 10am - 6pm from 24th March - 29th Oct 2017. Harewood will also be open for the Christmas season from 24th Nov – 31st Dec 2017. Between 30th Oct – 23rd Nov 2017, 24th – 26th Dec 2017 and 1st Jan 2017 – 22nd March 2018 Harewood will be closed to the public. During this time access to visit All Saints Church can be pre-arranged by contacting the Park Supervisor on 0113 218 1048 (Mon - Fri) or the Security team on 07713 393572 (Weekends).
  • Overview
  • Map
  • What's nearby
  • Feedback

A fashion parade of effigies nestling in the grounds of Harewood House

All Saints' dates from the fifteenth century. It is remarkable for six pairs of effigies, dating from 1419 to 1510, commemorating the owners of Harewood Castle and the nearby Gawthorpe estate. They are some of the greatest surviving examples of alabaster carving - virtually without rival in England - and offer a fascinating glimpse into the amour, robes, jewellery and headdresses of the day.

The earliest depicts the fearless judge William Gascoigne in the robes of the Lord Chief Justice with a finely carved purse on one side and a dagger on the other, while his wife wears a square head-dress and rests her feet on a little dog.

The latest -- of Edward Redman -- is thought to be a true likeness of the man, rare in Medieval times. At his feet is a tiny but perfectly carved figure of a bedesman who is shown saying prayers for the soul of the departed.

The church was restored in 1862-63 by Sir George Gilbert Scott, designer of St Pancras Station, the Albert Memorial and many churches. The interior has an unadorned simplicity and there is a fine west window.

All Saints' Church is sited within the beautiful grounds of Harewood House. For more information on visiting the house and grounds, please see their website: http://harewood.org/

Comment