St Mary's Church, Capel-le-Ferne, Kent
- What's nearby
A church with a view to France
This lovely church is remote from the road and squats snugly on bleak downland above Folkestone. It has views across the channel, looking towards France. A single Norman window, with a little delicate wallpainting in the reveal, indicates its early origins; but most notable is a fourteenth-century three-arched stone rood-screen with, uniquely in England, an arched opening above for the rood itself. There are also ancient roof timbers, a small brass and a thirteenth-century piscina.Capel-le-Ferne Guide
Low step down into church.
Facilities & Hire
Due to the historic nature of our buildings only a small number have heating, running water and toilet facilities.The lighting is usually operated via a 'push button' timer or a motion sensor.
2 miles north east of Folkstone. In Capel-le-Ferne follow Historic Church signs off B2011 along Capel Street and Manor House Lane.
Nearest railway station: Folkestone Central (3.25 miles)
History & Further Information
Why not make your visit more enjoyable and informed by finding out more about this church before you visit? You can download a range of publications below including the relevant county guide, and any walk round guides we have for this churchKent County Guide 2012
This free of charge short guide contains details of all the churches we care for in Kent. Printed copies of the county guide are also available at the church.
Useful local links:
- Visit Kent tourism website: www.visitkent.co.uk
- Let's Visit Kent website: www.letsvisit.co.uk
- Best Places to Visit in Kent website: www.kentattractions.co.uk
- Kent History website: www.hereshistorykent.org.uk
- Kent County Council website history section: www.kent.gov.uk
- Kent Archaeology Society: www.kentarchaeology.org.uk
- Kent Historic Churches website: www.kentchurches.info
- Friends of Kent Churches: www.friendsofkentchurches.co.uk