Church of St John the Baptist, Strensham, Worcestershire
- What's nearby
A dazzling interior
This handsome square-towered church stands on a rise above its two villages now separated by the M5, looking across the River Avon to Bredon Hill in the east and to the Malverns in the west.
The weathered tower and simple exterior do not prepare one for the dazzling interior, which includes a Norman tub font, sixteenth-century pews, a spectacular screen with painted panels, medieval floor tiles, four centuries of family monuments.
A masterpiece of architectural fantasy in a National Trust park
A time capsule with glorious Cotswold views
A link to Elgar
From a private residential drive there is level access through a pair of iron gates and over grass to the south porch threshold, allowing level access across a tiled porch to the double south doors.
Facilities & Hire
Due to the historic nature of our buildings, only a very small number of them have heating, running water or toilet facilities. The lighting is usually operated via a 'push button' timer or a motion sensor.
Please note - if you use satellite navigation based on the church postcode, you'll be misled by about five miles! Instead follow the directions below to travel straight to the church.
• From M5, Junction 7, take the A4440 towards Worcester.
• Take the 1st exit at the roundabout towards Hereford on the A4440.
• At the next roundabout take the 2nd exit towards Hereford.
• At the next roundabout take the 1st exit towards Kempsey on the A38.
• Keep on the A38 for 12 miles until you reach The Grove.
• Take a left after the Bluebell Pub towards Strensham.
• Stay on the Strensham road for 5 miles.
• At T-Junction take a left, then first right where you will see a brown church sign.
• Go down church road for ½ a mile, you can park in front of church.
Nearest railway station: Pershore (6 miles). Worcestershire Traveline: 0870 6082608
History & Further Information
Why not make your visit more enjoyable and informed by finding out more about this church before you visit? You can download a range of publications below including the relevant county guide, and any walk round guides we have for this church.Worcestershire and Herefordshire County Guide 2012
This free of charge short guide contains details of all the churches we care for in Herefordshire & Worcestershire.St. John the Baptist, Strensham guidebook
- Community information