St James' Church, Stirchley, Shropshire
- What's nearby
In a quiet backwater close to Telford
This intriguing church is set in a quiet location only a mile away from central Telford.
The chancel is made from local sandstone and contains an eye-catching ornate arch. This and the small, round windows date from the twelfth century. The nave and tower are eighteenth-century brick additions.
Inside are box pews, galleries and an impressive pulpit with sounding board.
Surrounding the church, the graveyard has some interesting headstones from the eighteenth century and later.
A contribution can be made towards the conservation at the church by texting STY to 70970 to donate £5, or 70191 to donate £10. Thank you for your support
Paved path through the churchyard from an unmetalled access road. Limited parking along verge.
Disabled access information
There is a single step into the box pews. There are stairs to the gallery.
Facilities & Hire
Due to the historic nature of our buildings, only a small number of them have heating, running water or toilet facilities. The lighting is usually operated via a 'push button' timer or a motion sensor.
2.5 miles south from Telford town centre; access from A442 Brookside roundabout, turning into Stirchley and on to Stirchley Village and Stirchley Road; church access via an unmade road off Stirchley Road; location is next to the Old Rectory
Nearest railway stations: Telford Central (1.7 miles) and Oakengates (2.4 miles)
History & Further Information
Why not make your visit more enjoyable and informed by finding out more about this church before you visit? You can download a range of publications below including the relevant county guide, and any walk round guides we have for this church.Shropshire County Guide 2012
This free of charge short guide contains details of all the churches we care for in Shropshire. Printed copies of the county guide are also available at the church.
Useful local links:
- Shropshire Tourist Information: www.virtual-shropshire.co.uk
- Shropshire Tourism website: www.shropshiretourism.co.uk
- Secret Shropshire website: www.secretshropshire.org.uk
- Shropshire Family History Society: www.sfhs.org.uk
- Family Days Out in Shropshire: www.dayoutwiththekids.co.uk
- Shropshire Days Out website: www.shropshiredaysout.co.uk
- Shropshire History website: www.shropshirehistory.org.uk
- Shropshire Historic Churches Trust: www.shropshirehct.org.uk
- Shropshire County Council Discover Shropshire website: www.discovershropshire.org.uk
- Shropshire Archaeological & History Society: www.discovershropshire.org.uk