St Gregory's Church, Vale of Lune, Cumbria
How to find us
- What's nearby
A railway church
This chapel was built in the early 1860s by the Upton family, when the London and North Western Railway was building its Ingleton branch and sent a Scripture Reader to the navvies.
Attached to a cottage, it is a plain building perhaps designed by a railway engineer; but inside a delightful and colourful series of stained glass windows by Frederick George Smith depict river scenes, trees and plants, as well as birds and animals found locally. These were installed in about 1900 when the church was refurnished.
A 12th century church made of “handsome stone” in a tiny parish.
A medieval treasure saved by George Gilbert Scott
A boom-time church for a rich city parish
Disabled access information
There is a step up into the church through the main door
Facilities & Hire
Due to the historic nature of our buildings, only a small number have heating, running water or toilet facilities. The lighting is usually operated via a 'push button' timer or a motion sensor.
1 mile west of Sedbergh on A684, and 4 miles east of M6 Junction 37
Nearest railway stations: Oxenholme Lake District (6.5 miles) and Kendal (7 miles)
- Community information