St George's Church, Edworth, Bedfordshire

Address:
Edworth, Biggleswade, Bedfordshire, SG18 8QX
How to find us
Opening times:
Open daily, 11am - 4pm. For enquiries about this church, please contact Karen Moore on 07876 324 554 or kmoore@thecct.org.uk
  • Overview
  • Map
  • What's nearby
  • Feedback

A serene and secluded medieval church standing in farmland

During the Middle Ages, St George's belonged to St Neot's Priory, which may account for the high quality of much of the carving in stone and wood. It also has a rare, melancholy beauty. The church was built around 1200 with: aisles, chancel, tower, porches, and clerestory added over the next two centuries. Inside some of the exquisite treasures include: dazzling medieval glass; a rare pillar piscina; traces of fourteenth-century wall paintings; a decorated font; fifteenth-century choirstalls carved with animals. An interesting and appealing church in a pretty and peaceful setting.

Comment