St Andrew's Church, Buckland, Hertfordshire

Address:
Rectory Close, Buntingford, Hertfordshire, SG9 0PT
How to find us | Access information
Opening times:
Open daily, 11am - 4pm
  • Overview
  • Map
  • What's nearby
  • Feedback

Musical angels serenade New Testament tales

This handsome fourteenth-century church is lit with Victorian stained glass featuring scenes from the New Testament. Carved stone angels play instruments but mortals must content themselves with the beautifully decorated organ. Buckland is a tiny village on Ermine Street, where it crosses the chalk uplands between Buntingford and Royston: The church is at the highest point away from the road.

The nave and chancel date from about 1348, where as the tower, south aisle, porch and south door from the 1400s. There is some medieval stone carving in corbels flanking the windows, there's also some medieval glass, fifteenth-century brasses, memorials from later years and a medley of nineteenth-century fittings.

Comment