Oxhey Chapel, Oxhey, Hertfordshire

Address:
Gosforth Lane, Watford, Hertfordshire, WD19 7AX
How to find us
Opening times:
Key available at All Saints Church next door.
  • Overview
  • Map
  • What's nearby
  • Feedback

A remnant from the past standing in the present

Oxhey Chapel was built on an early monastic site in 1612 by Sir James Altham as the chapel to his new home, Oxhey Place. It is now surrounded by 1940s housing, between the brand new parish church and its vicarage. The little flint and brick building comes as a delicious surprise.

Its superb font, reredos, west doorway, roof, communion rails, chancel paving and the Altham monument are all from the seventeenth century. The seating arrangement and other furnishings date from a restoration in 1897, but complement the earlier work, maintaining its Jacobean atmosphere.

Comment