Take over teacher- Volunteering opportunity at Seventeen Nineteen
Seventeen Nineteen’s goal is to reconnect Sunderland with its past by transforming Holy Trinity into a venue that brings the heritage of the church and the old town to life through storytelling and other activities. Due to the virus our plans have changed. So we’re looking for volunteers who are creative, curious and canny to make get new and exciting things happening now.
The project will give you an opportunity to:
- Work with education professionals
- Share our story of Sunderland
- Making a difference in your community
Everyone will be welcome at Seventeen Nineteen, some activities will be free and some will be charged. Any resources we make for use at home, in community centres or schools will be shared widely across Sunderland.
What will our Take Over Teacher do?
- Take part in one zoom meeting prior to your take over
- Work with the team to make your plans
- Work digitally to create engaging opportunities for people to share their stories
- Learn about museum learning
- Work with other volunteers to make sure they know the history of Seventeen Nineteen
- Assist and lead with family and school workshops
- Help us make volunteering at Seventeen Nineteen brilliant by telling us what you’ve learnt, what you’ve enjoyed and what you’d change
What does a Take Over Teacher look like?
- Curious! They want to learn about history, they’re naturally nosey and have lots of questions.
- Helpful. You’ll want to help other people, whether that’s helping them learn about the past or noticing that they need something and making that happen.
- Excited. You’ll need to act quickly to get what you want done so you’ll need some natural enthusiasm.
- Welcoming. Bringing people together from different backgrounds and making a warm space where they can learn and share.
- Engaged- you’ll know something about teaching, educating, learning or facilitation. You don’t have to be an expert, but you’ll want to put your knowledge to use.
- A Mackem. Historically, Sunderland’s East End was home to migrants from all over the world! All Mackems are welcome to bring their unique views of Sunderland to Seventeen Nineteen.
If you’re not all those things yet- don’t worry.
What is the commitment?
This year’s Take Over Day takes place between the 16th and 22nd of November- you would need to be available to volunteer for at least 4 half days during that time. You can work from home or with us at the Mind Hub.
You’ll plan and deliver at least one activity that can be delivered digitally during Take Over week and will evaluate that activity.
For more information, please download the full volunteer description below.Take Over Teacher.pdf
Curious about volunteering?
Send us an email at [email protected] to let us know some things about you:
- What are you Curious about?
- Why you are Curious about volunteering at Seventeen Nineteen?
- What would you like to learn or develop while volunteering with us?
- Are you able to make the regular meetings on the 1st and 3rd Wednesday of the month?
- Would you need any support to volunteer?