Holy Trinity Church, Sunderland, Tyne & Wear

Address:
Church Street East, Sunderland, Tyne & Wear, SR1 2BB
How to find us | Access information
Opening times:
Often open but please call 0191 565 4835 in advance of your visit
  • Overview
  • Map
  • What's on
  • What's nearby
  • Feedback

A bright and beautiful city church

This handsome brick and stone church was built in 1718-19, perhaps designed by William Etty, who certainly played a part in fitting out the interior. Then in a quiet situation on the edge of a lively and vigorous port; now, again, it is surrounded by open spaces. In 1735 the apse and its 'Venetian' window were added, the west gallery and a new roof in about 1803, but many of the 1719 furnishings remain.

The interior is brightly lit through large clear windows and has many appealing features: the striking baroque chancel arch; an elegant font with a richly ornamented cover; west end stalls for constables, overseers and sidesmen; the fine memorial to the Revd Robert Gray (1838).

Comment