St Swithun's, Worcester
Our vision is to create an inspirational sensory space within the Grade I listed Georgian St Swithun’s Church in the heart of Worcester’s city centre, which creatively uses sound and art to engage, enthuse and inspire.
'Sound and Art @ St Swithun’s' (SASS) is an innovative project designed not only to repair and conserve this fine building but also to provide modern facilities and improve access. The project will breathe new life into the building, enhancing cultural tourism in Worcester and creating a city centre space for people to recharge and relax.
St Swithun’s is a fine example of Grade I listed Georgian architecture replete with original box pews and a remarkable carved three-decker pulpit, but the historic fabric is now at severe risk, with a leaking roof threatening both the tall Tudor tower and the fine Georgian interior. We urgently need to re-slate the main church roof to stop the water ingress which is currently damaging the plaster ceiling. However, with limited financial resources we must also find a long term, sustainable use for the building.
The project received a stage 1 pass from the Heritage Lottery Fund, and we are currently fundraising to reach our match funding target. If we can raise enough money, the project will:
- Re-slate the roof, preserving the beautiful arched ceiling from further damage
- Undertake stone conservation to repair and clean the limestone elevations, allowing the building to shine
- Support and collaborate with emerging talent, giving new artists a creative space for performances and exhibiting work
- Create craft skills apprenticeships and traineeships opening up employment opportunities in the heritage sector for students and job seekers
- Offer a diverse event programme to attract new audiences by working in partnership with local arts and educational organisations