HCT 2017 - Worcestershire: The landscape of Capability Brown
Non Member: £60.00
See for yourself the majesty and influence of Capability Brown in this one-day tour of Worcestershire.
St. Mary Magdalene, Croome is a masterpiece of architectural fantasy. The original church was demolished in the 1750’s by the 6th Earl of Coventry while he concurrently rebuilt his adjacent Jacobean house. The house and gardens were designed and laid out by Capability Brown as was the new church, which enjoys spectacular views out to the Malvern Hills. The interior of the church is attributed to Robert Adam.
Having taken in the elegant craftsmanship of St. Mary Magdalene we make our way across the grounds to Croome Court. Now a National Trust property, we can enjoy the work of Capability Brown in its further glory. A home of firsts, it was Capability Brown’s first commission and is the location of Robert Adam’s first complete room design.
If that wasn’t all too much already we will then move on to our final stop, All Saints’, Spetchley. Sat adjacent to Spetchley Park, the church contains magnificent life-size monuments to members of the Berkeley family, owners of Spetchley Park and Berkeley Castle.
Travel: Collect coach at Worcester Shrub Hill train station at 10.00, returning to station at 17.00.
What’s Included: The price includes lunch, expert tour guides, coach pick up from and drop off to the train station, entrance fees (where applicable) and travel between sites.
To book: to book more than one tour online, please complete a individual booking process for each tour. Alternatively, you can download and print a booking form and return it to us at The Churches Conservation Trust, Society Building, 8 All Saints Street, London, N1 9RL, or call us on 0800 206 1463 (Monday – Friday; 09:30-17:00).
Please note: In the unlikely event that any of the above tour details need to be amended before the tour, guests will be informed immediately. You will receive specific tour contact information nearer the time with your tour itinerary
- What is the capacity on this tour? We’ve got space for 23 people, so please book early to avoid disappointment.
- Where at Worcester Shrub Hill train station will we be meeting? We’ll be meeting at the front entrance to the station. Look for a staff member wearing a CCT lapel badge.
- I would like to stay in the local area the night before. Are there any hotels near Worcester Shrub Hill train station that you would recommend? Please see visitworcestershire.org for information on local hotels.
- I am planning to drive to Worcester train station. What parking arrangements are available and how much does it cost? There are 121 parking spaces at Worcester Shrub Hill train station, where the daily rate is £6.20. Alternative parking can be found at crown Gate shopping centre, which is a short walk away.
- How frequently do trains arrive to and depart from Worcester train station? Worcester Shrub Hill train station runs direct services to London Paddington, Great Malvern, Weymouth, and other destinations. Services to London Paddington depart once every 1 hour and 20 minutes and take approximately 2 hours 30 minutes. For more information on times and fares please visit National Rail Enquiries or Trainline.
- What are the lunch arrangements? We will be having lunch at Croome Court, NT.
- Is there a charge for entry to Croome Court and if so, is this covered in the price of the tour? All admission fees are covered in the price of the tour, meaning you don’t have anything extra to pay for entry to Croome Court.
- What happens if I am no longer able to make the tour once I have made my booking? If you’re no longer able to make a tour after booking, then please let us know as soon as possible. If you cancel you’re booking more than 1 month before your tour, then you’ll be entitled to a full refund. If you cancel within 1 month of your tour, then unfortunately we’re not able to offer a refund, however we’ll do our best to offer you a place on another tour.