Shrewsbury Drapers Company Textile Design Competition
Enjoy the results of the Shrewsbury Drapers annual textile competition.
The Shrewsbury Drapers Company has held a Textile Design Competition for the past 21 years. This year will focus on the theme “ALL THAT JAZZ!" Come along and view the entries assembled in the Trinity Chapel.
The Drapers were first mentioned in Shrewsbury in 1209 as individuals in the first Guild of Merchant Rolls of the Town. The Guild Merchants administered all trades in the town in the late twelfth and thirteenth centuries. The Drapers achieved full Guild status with their incorporation by Royal Charter in 1462. The Drapers Hall has stood in St Mary’s Place since 1485. The current building dates from 1576 and the interior finishes are detailed on the lease of 1577. It is probably the only wooden framed Guildhall in the country with uninterrupted use by the original company. The present Drapers Company is responsible for twenty five almshouses and is currently building twenty five more.