Historic Church Tours 2018 - The Splendours of Shrewsbury - BOOKINGS CLOSED
Non Member: £60.00
Discover Shrewsbury's finest historic buildings including the Abbey and the world-famous stained glass of medieval St Mary's on this one-day tour.
BOOKINGS FOR THIS TOUR HAVE NOW CLOSED
Shrewsbury is a city filled with inspiring architecture and we begin this walking tour at the incredible Shrewsbury Abbey. There has been a place of worship on its site since Anglo-Saxon times with the current Abbey founded in 1083 by Roger de Montgomery. The Abbey has witnessed civil war battles, royal pilgrimages and is where the first Parliament was held.
Our next stop, St Mary the Virgin, is one of the jewels in our collection. From the outside, you can see how the church dominates the town’s skyline; its spire is one of the tallest in England. However, it is inside St Mary the Virgin where you will find its greatest treasures. Medieval stone carvings, soaring arches and the world famous stained glass ‘Jesse window’ are just some of the delights we will discover as we explore the church.
We end the day at the church of St Chad’s. The current church building was begun in 1790, opening two years later. A mixture of Ionic, Doric and Corinthian styles, Charles Darwin was later baptised here in 1809.
Meting point and timings: Meet at Shrewsbury train station at 10.00, returning to the train station by 16.00.
What is included: The price of the tour includes lunch and, where applicable, entrance fees.
How to book: The easiest way to book is online, simply click on the ‘Book Now’ button above and complete the online booking process. Alternatively, download and print a booking form, returning it to us at ‘The Churches Conservation Trust, Society House, 8 All Saints Street, London, N1 9RL’, or call us on 0800 206 1463 (Mon-Fri; 09.30-17.00).
Once your booking has been processed, you will be sent a booking confirmation. Your tour itinerary, which will provide you with more detailed tour information including approximate timings of the day, will be sent to you 7-10 days before the start of the tour.
Please note: On all of our tours there is at the very least a fair amount of walking, quite often over worn and uneven surfaces. They are not suitable for anyone with difficulties with everyday walking and stair climbing. All tour details are correct at the time of publication. In the event that details are changed, guests will be notified as soon as possible.
If you have any concerns or questions relating to the tour then please call us on 0800 206 1463 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Splendours of Shrewsbury FAQs
- What is the tour capacity? We have enough room for 20 guests on this tour, so book early to avoid disappointment!
- Where at Shrewsbury train station will we be meeting? We will be meeting outside the main entrance to the train station.
- I would like to stay in the local area the night before. Are there any hotels near the train station that you would recommend? Premier Inn Shrewsbury Town Centre is a short walk from the train station. For more hotels, see Visit Shrewsbury’s website.
- I am planning to drive to Shrewsbury. What parking arrangements are available near the train station and how much does it cost to park? There is a NCP-operated car park at Shrewsbury train station with 190 spaces. Its daily charge is £5.30.
- How frequently do trains arrive and depart from Shrewsbury train station? Services between Shrewsbury and London depart from Euston every 30 minutes and includes a changeover at either Crewe or Birmingham New Street. Shrewsbury is served by direct services from other stations including Manchester Piccadilly, Cardiff Central and Birmingham International. For more information on times and fares please see National Rail Enquiries.
- What are the lunch arrangements? We are currently finalising the lunch arrangements for the tour. We will be able to confirm the lunch venue with attendees nearer to the start date.
- Who will be the guide/lead on tour? So that we can deliver the highest quality experience in collaboration with the best local experts, we are not yet able to confirm who will be leading this tour. However, we will confirm with attendees who will lead this tour nearer to the start date.
- How do I notify you of dietary requirements? You can notify us of any dietary requirements when making your booking over the phone or when completing a paper booking form. If we have not been able to capture your dietary requirements when making your booking then please email us at email@example.com or call us on 0800 206 1463.
- What is the cancellation/refund policy? If you are no longer able to make the tour after booking then please let us know as soon as possible. If you cancel your booking more than one month before the tour start date, then you will be entitled to a full refund. If you cancel within one month of your tour then unfortunately we are not able to offer a refund, however we will do our best to offer you a place on another tour.