Historic Church Tours 2018 - Norwich: A Fine City - BOOKINGS CLOSED
Non Member: £60.00
Norwich has a rich ecclesiastical history, which will be uncovered on foot on this one-day walking tour.
BOOKINGS FOR THIS TOUR HAVE NOW CLOSED
The fine medieval city of Norwich is a treasure trove of historic churches and grand cathedrals, so what better way to explore its rich heritage than with us on this walking tour? Starting from Norwich train station we will make the short walk to our first stop, Norwich Cathedral, the most complete Norman cathedral in England. Building began in 1096 and we will uncover its 900-year history during our tour here.
We continue our journey with two historic churches from our collection: St John Maddermarket and St Augustine’s. St John Maddermarket has stood for over 500 years (although a gas explosion in 1876 nearly put an end to that!) and is home to monuments of some of Norwich’s most powerful individuals, including MPs and mayors from the 16th century. St. Augustine’s has the sole-surviving seventeenth-century brick tower in Norwich, while the rest of the building dates from the medieval period.
Our final visit of the day takes us west of the city-centre to Norwich’s second cathedral, dedicated to St John the Baptist. Designed by George Gilbert Scott Jr, the Cathedral was commissioned by Henry Fitzalan Howard as a gift to the Roman Catholics of Norwich. While it was completed in 1910, it was only in 1976 that it was made Cathedral of the new Diocese of East Anglia. Up until this point, it was thought that the church of St John the Baptist was the largest parish church in the country.
Meeting point and timings: Meet at Norwich train station at 10.00, returning to the train station by 18.00.
What is included: The price of the tour includes lunch and, where applicable, entrance fees.
How to book: The easiest way to book is online, simply click on the ‘Book Now’ button above and complete the online booking process. Alternatively, download and print a booking form, returning it to us at ‘The Churches Conservation Trust, Society House, 8 All Saints Street, London, N1 9RL’, or call us on 0800 206 1463 (Mon-Fri; 09.30-17.00).
Once your booking has been processed, you will be sent a booking confirmation. Your tour itinerary, which will provide you with more detailed tour information, including timings of the day, will be sent to you 7-10 days before the start of the tour.
Please note: On all of our tours there is at the very least a fair amount of walking, quite often over worn and uneven surfaces. They are not suitable for anyone with difficulties with everyday walking and stair climbing. All tour details are correct at the time of publication. In the event that details are changed, guests will be notified as soon as possible.
If you have any concerns or questions relating to the tour then please call us on 0800 206 1463 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Norwich: A Fine City FAQs
- What is the tour capacity? We have enough room for 20 guests on this tour, so book early to avoid disappointment!
- Where at Norwich train station will we be meeting? We will be meeting outside the main entrance.
- I would like to stay in the local area the night before. Are there any hotels near the train station that you would recommend? Premier Inn Norwich Nelson City Centre and Central Hotel are both a short walk from the train station. For more hotels, see Visit Norwich’s website.
- I am planning to drive to Norwich. What parking arrangements are available near the train station and how much does it cost to park? There is a NCP-operated car park in the train station’s forecourt which has 44 spaces. Its off-peak day rate is £9.80. Across the road is the Riverside Car Park which has 740 spaces. Its day rate is £20.
- How frequently do trains arrive and depart from Norwich train station? Direct services between Norwich and London depart from Liverpool Street every 30 minutes. Norwich is also served by direct services from other stations including Cambridge, Liverpool Lime Street and Great Yarmouth. For more information on times and fares please see National Rail Enquiries.
- What are the lunch/dinner arrangements? We will be enjoying lunch at The Belgian Monk.
- Who will be the guide/lead on tour? So that we can deliver the highest quality experience in collaboration with the best local experts, we are not yet able to confirm who will be leading this tour. Once you have booked on, however, we will confirm with you who will lead this tour nearer to the start date.
- How do I notify you of dietary requirements? You can notify us of any dietary requirements when making your booking over the phone or when completing a paper booking form. If we have not been able to capture your dietary requirements when making your booking then please email us at email@example.com or call us on 0800 206 1463.
- What is the cancellation/refund policy? If you are no longer able to make the tour after booking then please let us know as soon as possible. If you cancel your booking more than one month before the tour start date, then you will be entitled to a full refund. If you cancel within one month of your tour then unfortunately we are not able to offer a refund, however we will do our best to offer you a place on another tour.