Historic Church Tours 2018 - The White Roses of North Yorkshire - BOOKINGS CLOSED
Non Member: £270.00
Imposing castles and tales of war and ransom await on this overnight tour.
BOOKINGS FOR THIS TOUR HAVE NOW CLOSED
Day 1: We begin our tour at St Martin’s, Allerton Mauleverer. In the 18th century Richard Allerton, heir to the Mauleverers, remodelled the church in the neo-Norman style. Inside is a fine hammerbeam roof and Medieval effigies reputed to depict the Knights of Mauleverer.
Allerton Castle is a Victorian Gothic stately home, a short drive from St Martin’s. Prince Frederick, the ‘Grand Old Duke of York’, lived on the estate towards the end of the 17th century before Lord Mowbray’s extensive redesign 50 years later. We will enjoy a tour of the house.
St Mary’s, Roecliffe is an unusual barrel-vaulted neo-Norman church and our penultimate visit of the day. Appealing in its simplicity, there is still plenty to admire here, including a vestry door which once belonged at York Minster.
The story behind our final visit of the day, Christ the Consoler, Skelton-cum-Newby is both fascinating and extremely tragic. As well as uncovering the origins of Christ the Consoler we will have plenty of time to admire the majestic scale of the church, designed by William Burges, much celebrated for decorating Westminster Palace.
Day 2: Holy Trinity, Coverham is a handsome 13th-century stone church set in the most exquisite of locations. As well as taking time to admire its Victorian-fitted interior, we will also (weather allowing) be treated to wonderful views of the River Cover and the Yorkshire Dales.
For more picture postcard views, we will follow onto Holy Trinity, Wensley, a beautiful 18th-century church located on the edge of Wensleydale by the River Ure. The church is treasure trove of history, with an abundance of interior features to admire.
A visit to this region would not be complete without a visit to the home of perhaps one of the most infamous monarchs in English history. Middleham Castle, now in the care of English Heritage, was the childhood home of Richard III. We will get to explore the Castle, which offers further fantastic views of the Yorkshire Dales.
Our tour concludes at St Mary’s, South Cowton. Sir Richard Conyers, a staunch supporter of the House of York, built St Mary’s during the War of the Roses. There is plenty to admire about both the church’s exterior and interior, in particular the craftsmanship of its stained glass and roof.
Meeting point and timings: Meet at Harrogate train station at 10.00 on Day 1, returning to the train station by 16.00 on Day 2.
What is included: Overnight tours include lunch on both days, entrance fees to non-CCT sites, travel to and from the named station to each of the listed sites as well as breakfast, dinner and overnight accommodation.
How to book: The easiest way to book is online, simply click on the ‘Book Now’ button above and complete the online booking process. Alternatively, download and print a booking form, returning it to us at ‘The Churches Conservation Trust, Society House, 8 All Saints Street, London, N1 9RL’, or call us on 0800 206 1463 (Mon-Fri; 09.30-17.00).
Once your booking has been processed, you will be sent a booking confirmation. Your tour itinerary, which will provide you with more detailed tour information including approximate timings of the day, will be sent to you 7-10 days before the start of the tour.
Please note: On all of our tours there is at the very least a fair amount of walking, quite often over worn and uneven surfaces. They are not suitable for anyone with difficulties with everyday walking and stair climbing. All tour details are correct at the time of publication. In the event that details are changed, guests will be notified as soon as possible.
If you have any concerns or questions relating to the tour then please call us on 0800 206 1463 or email us at email@example.com.
The White Roses of North Yorkshire FAQs
- What is the tour capacity? We have enough room for 20 guests on this tour, so book early to avoid disappointment!
- Where at Harrogate train station will we be meeting? We will be meeting outside the main entrance to the train station on Station Parade.
- I would like to stay in the local area the night before. Are there any hotels near the train station that you would recommend? The Yorkshire Hotel and Travelodge Harrogate are both short walks form the train station. For more hotels, see Visit Harrogate’s website.
- I am planning to drive to Harrogate. What parking arrangements are available near the train station and how much does it cost to park overnight? There are Northern Rail and council-run car parks at the back of the train station with a combined 900 spaces.
- How frequently do trains arrive and depart from Harrogate train station? Services between Harrogate and London depart from London Kings Cross every 30 minutes and include a changeover at either Leeds or York. Harrogate is served by direct services from York, Leeds and Knaresborough. For more information on times and fares please see National Rail Enquiries.
- What are the lunch/dinner arrangements? We are currently finalising lunch/dinner arrangements for the tour. We will be able to confirm the lunch venue with attendees nearer to the start date.
- What are the address and contact details for our hotel? The Saddle Room, Tupgill Park, Coverdale, Leyburn, DL8 4TJ. If you would like to contact them beforehand then their number is 01969 640596.
- Is entry to Allerton Castle and Middleham Castle covered in the tour costs? Yes, all additional entry costs are covered in the price of the tour.
- Who will be the guide/lead on tour? So that we can deliver the highest quality experience in collaboration with the best local experts, we are not yet able to confirm who will be leading this tour. We will, however, confirm with attendees who will lead this tour nearer to the start date of the tour.
- How do I notify you of dietary requirements? You can notify us of any dietary requirements when making your booking over the phone or when completing a paper booking form. If we have not been able to capture your dietary requirements when making your booking then please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on 0800 206 1463.
- What is the cancellation/refund policy? If you are no longer able to make the tour after booking then please let us know as soon as possible. If you cancel your booking more than one month before the tour start date, then you will be entitled to a full refund. If you cancel within one month of your tour then unfortunately we are not able to offer a refund, however we will do our best to offer you a place on another tour.