Historic Church Tours 2018 - King's Lynn and the Fens - BOOKINGS CLOSED
Non Member: £70.00
This one-day tour of Norfolk takes in England's largest chapel as well as some of our most rural historic churches.
What better place to begin our tour than at St Mary’s, Islington? This church is almost unique amongst our collection as it is a partial ruin. The church building dates from the 14th-century, with a chancel and romantic buttressed and battlemented tower that still retain their roofs.
Our second stop, St Mary the Virgin, Wiggenhall, stands in a watery landscape on the River Ouse. Inside we will discover up close its intricate woodcarvings, life-size marble effigies and brilliantly coloured panels.
A short drive from St Mary the Virgin is the handsome old church of St Andrew’s, Walpole. This marshland church was built in the 15th-century on an older site where Roman and Medieval remains have been found.
To demonstrate the full breadth of our collection, no visit to this part of the country would be complete without a visit to St Nicholas’ Chapel, King’s Lynn, the largest chapel in England. We will explore the 900-year history of this town-centre jewel, which contains large, magnificent windows and monuments to the merchants, seamen, mayors and others who have shaped this town’s life. There is plenty to discover: will you find the ledger stone dedicated to ‘Robinson Cruso’?
We finish the day at St Margaret’s, King’s Lynn, a parish church which was built towards the end of the 11th century. The church was dedicated as King’s Lynn Minister in 2011 and plays an active role in the local community.
Meeting point and timings: Meet at King’s Lynn train station at 10.00, returning to the train station by 18.00.
What is included: One-day coach tours include lunch, entrance fees to non-CCT sites where appropriate, and travel to and from the named station to each of the listed sites.
How to book: The easiest way to book is online, simply click on the ‘Book Now’ button above and complete the online booking process. Alternatively, download and print a booking form, returning it to us at ‘The Churches Conservation Trust, Society House, 8 All Saints Street, London, N1 9RL’, or call us on 0800 206 1463 (Mon-Fri; 09.30-17.00).
Once your booking has been processed, you will be sent a booking confirmation. Your tour itinerary, which will provide you with more detailed tour information including approximate timings of the day, will be sent to you 7-10 days before the start of the tour.
Please note: On all of our tours there is at the very least a fair amount of walking, quite often over worn and uneven surfaces. They are not suitable for anyone with difficulties with everyday walking and stair climbing. All tour details are correct at the time of publication. In the event that details are changed, guests will be notified as soon as possible.
If you have any concerns or questions relating to the tour then please call us on 0800 206 1463 or email us at email@example.com.
King's Lyn and the Fens FAQs
- What is the tour capacity? We have enough room for 30 guests on this tour, so book early to avoid disappointment!
- Where at King’s Lynn train station will we be meeting? We will be meeting outside the main entrance to the train station.
- I would like to stay in the local area the night before. Are there any hotels near the train station that you would recommend? The Duke’s Head Hotel is a 10 minute walk from the train station. For more hotels, see Visit West Norfolk’s website.
- I am planning to drive to King’s Lynn. What parking arrangements are available near the train station and how much does it cost to park? There is an Indigo-operated car park at the train station which has 90 spaces. The daily rate is £5.30. There is also a Napier-operated car park at the train station which has 98 spaces. The daily rate here is £5.20.
- How frequently do trains arrive and depart from King’s Lynn train station? Direct services between Kings Lynn and London depart from King’s Cross every 30 minutes during morning and evening peak periods and every hour at other times. For more information on times and fares please see National Rail Enquiries.
- What are the lunch arrangements? We will be enjoying lunch at Worzals, Walton Highway.
- Who will be the guide/lead on tour? So that we can deliver the highest quality experience in collaboration with the best local experts, we are not yet able to confirm who will be leading this tour. Once you have booked on, however, we will confirm with you who will lead this tour nearer to the start date.
- How do I notify you of dietary requirements? You can notify us of any dietary requirements when making your booking over the phone or when completing a paper booking form. If we have not been able to capture your dietary requirements when making your booking then please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on 0800 206 1463.
- What is the cancellation/refund policy? If you are no longer able to make the tour after booking then please let us know as soon as possible. If you cancel your booking more than one month before the tour start date, then you will be entitled to a full refund. If you cancel within one month of your tour then unfortunately we are not able to offer a refund, however we will do our best to offer you a place on another tour.