Historic Church Tours 2021: Anglo Saxon Origins in Hampshire
Non Member: £75.00
Explore 1,000 years of history with this tour to some of our oldest churches.
Please note all tours will be assessed for Covid safety in line with any Government directions that apply at that point in time with full refunds available in the event of cancellation.
We start this tour in historic Winchester, once the seat of Anglo-Saxon and Norman royal power, with a visit to Winchester Cathedral. One of the largest cathedrals in Europe, this incredible medieval building is home to a wealth of treasures. Discover spectacular stained glass, medieval woodwork and the spectacular Winchester Bible, the largest of all surviving 12th-century English Bibles.
From Winchester we travel to visit some two CCT churches: All Saints', Little Somborne and St Mary's Church, Ashley. Although small in size these churches are no less rich in history. At All Saints', a half Saxon, half Norman church which is mentioned in the Domesday Book, discover a Norman doorway with examples of early graffiti of crusader crosses and a 13th century hermit's cell. St Mary’s Church, Ashley, beckons us back to a fortified past standing within the earthworks of a now-vanished Norman castle. Discover a 13th-century wall painting and a Norman font, and carved from Purbeck marble.
Anglo Saxon Origins FAQs
- What is the tour capacity? We have enough room for 20 guests on this tour, so book early to avoid disappointment!
- Where at Winchester train station will we be meeting? We will be meeting outside the main entrance by Station Road.
- I would like to stay in the local area the night before. Are there any hotels near the train station that you would recommend? The Westgate and The Winchester Hotel are both short walks from the train station. For more hotels, see Visit Winchester’s website.
- I am planning to drive to Winchester. What parking arrangements are available near the train station and how much does it cost to park? There is a car park at Winchester train station that has 411 spaces. The daily rate is £9.30.
- How frequently do trains arrive and depart from Winchester train station? Direct services between Winchester and London depart from Waterloo every 15 minutes. Winchester is also served by direct services from other stations including Poole, Newcastle and Southampton Central. For more information on times and fares please see National Rail Enquiries.
- What are the lunch arrangements? We are currently finalising the lunch arrangements for the tour. We will be able to confirm the lunch venue with attendees nearer to the start date.
- Who will be the guide/lead on tour? So that we can deliver the highest quality experience in collaboration with the best local experts, we are not yet able to confirm who will be leading this tour. Once you have booked on, however, we will confirm with you who will lead this tour nearer to the start date.
- How do I notify you of dietary requirements? You can notify us of any dietary requirements when making your booking over the phone or when completing a paper booking form. If we have not been able to capture your dietary requirements when making your booking then please email us at [email protected] or call us on 0800 206 1463.
- What is the cancellation/refund policy? If you are no longer able to make the tour after booking then please let us know as soon as possible. If you cancel your booking more than one month before the tour start date, then you will be entitled to a full refund. If you cancel within one month of your tour then unfortunately we are not able to offer a refund, however we will do our best to offer you a place on another tour.