Historic Church Tours 2019 - Medieval Leicester
Non Member: £60.00
Richard III was finally laid to rest at Leicester Cathedral in 2015. Follow in his footsteps in the historic city of Leicester as we explore its medieval marvels and discover more about ‘The King Under the Car Park’.
This tour is currently SOLD OUT. If you would like to be added to our waiting list please call us on 0800 206 1463 or email email@example.com and we will add your name.
We begin our day with a short walk to the King Richard III Visitor Centre, which is built on the site of the medieval Franciscan friary of Grey Friars. Here we will also see Richard’s statue. Our morning is completed with a visit to Leicester Cathedral and Richard’s tomb.
After lunch we continue on foot to St. Mary De Castro. Built in 1107 it has been described as ‘The Jewel of Leicester’ and is rumoured as the location of Geoffrey Chaucer's wedding and Henry VI's coronation. It is also thought Richard’s body could have rested here after The Battle of Bosworth. We will then take the opportunity to visit the adjacent Castle Gardens.
We conclude the medieval theme at All Saints’ Church. A refuge from the busy city centre, it is one of five surviving churches from the medieval city. Some elements of the church date back from the 11th century, including an impressive Norman doorway.
Please note that this tour will involve a lot of walking, possibly over uneven and worn surfaces. You will be on your feet for most of the day with approximately 4 miles of walking scheduled for the day. Guests must be in a fit condition to join this tour. If you have any concerns please contact us on 0800 206 1463 before booking.
All tour details are correct at the time of publishing. Please note that in the event that details are changed, guests will be notified as soon as possible.
Medeival Leicester FAQs
- What is the tour capacity? We have enough room for 25 guests on this tour, so book early to avoid disappointment!
- Where at Leicester train station will we be meeting? We will be meeting outside the main entrance to the train station on Castle Street.
- I would like to stay in the local area the night before. Are there any hotels near the train station that you would recommend? The Ibis Leicester City Hotel and Premier Inn Leicester City Centre are both short walks from the train station. For more hotels, see Visit Leicester’s website.
- I am planning to drive to Leicester. What parking arrangements are available near the train station and how much does it cost to park? There is train station car park on Fox Street which accommodates 515 spaces. The daily rate is £14.50.
- How frequently do trains arrive and depart from Leicester train station? Direct services between Leicester and London depart from St. Pancras four times an hour. Leicester is also served by direct services from other stations including Sheffield, Nottingham and Birmingham New Street. For more information on times and fares please see National Rail Enquiries.
- What are the lunch arrangements? This will be confirmed nearer to the start date.
- Who will be the guide/lead on tour? So that we can deliver the highest quality experience in collaboration with the best local experts, we are not yet able to confirm who will be leading this tour. Once you have booked on, however, we will confirm with you who will lead this tour nearer to the start date.
- How do I notify you of dietary requirements? You can notify us of any dietary requirements when making your booking online, over the phone or when completing a paper booking form. If we have not been able to capture your dietary requirements when making your booking then please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on 0800 206 1463.
- What is the cancellation/refund policy? If you are no longer able to make the tour after booking then please let us know as soon as possible. If you cancel your booking more than one month before the tour start date, then you will be entitled to a full refund. If you cancel within one month of your tour then unfortunately we are not able to offer a refund, however we will do our best to offer you a place on another tour.