Historic Church Tours 2019 - Angel Roofs of Norfolk
Non Member: £70.00
The Angel Roof is one of the most impressive examples of late-14th century English decorative carpentry. For this tour we are joined by expert Michael Rimmer, who will showcase some of the finest examples in Norfolk.
We begin the day at the twin-towered Norman church of Wymondham Abbey. The Abbey was founded in 1107 and is one of the grandest religious buildings in East Anglia. Its roof is a single hammer beam construction dating from c. 1445 and is one of the finest and most exquisitely carved in Norfolk.
St. Michael the Archangel, Booton is a breath-taking church created by Reverend Whitwell Elwin, a descendant of Pocahontas. Elwin funded and designed the church himself, taking inspiration for architectural details from some of his favourite churches around the country. Inside you will find that the angels are all modelled on female friends of Elwin! They are the work of James Minns, a well-known master-carver whose carving of a bull's head is still the emblem of Colman's Mustard.
Our penultimate visit is to the ‘austere giant’ of St. Agnes in Cawston, a Grade I-listed perpendicular church constructed in the 14th century. It has a steeply pitched single hammer beam construction which is spectacular in its scale and quality of sculpture. Each angel is over six feet tall from feet to wingtips – notice how they uniquely stand upright on the hammer beam.
We end the day at St. Nicholas’ Chapel, King’s Lynn. It is the largest chapel in England and dates from the early 15th century which makes its angel roof one of the earliest dateable in East Anglia. The angels are positioned within the arch-braced tie beam roof so that their illumination is maximised. Visiting in the height of June, we hope that you will enjoy the chapel and its angels in the fine early summer light.
Please note that on all of our tours there is at the very at least a fair amount of walking, quite often over uneven and worn surfaces. They are not suitable for anyone with difficulties with everyday walking and stair-climbing. In some cases coaches may not be able to park near the church and there may be walking over uneven land or tracks when approaching the church building. If you have any concerns please contact us on 0800 206 1463 before booking.
Angel Roofs of Norfolk FAQs
- What is the tour capacity? We have enough room for 30 guests on this tour, so book early to avoid disappointment!
- Where at King’s Lynn train station will we be meeting? We will be meeting outside the main entrance to the train station on Blackfriars Road.
- I would like to stay in the local area the night before. Are there any hotels near the train station that you would recommend? The Globe Hotel and The Duke’s Head Hotel are both situated in the centre of King’s Lynn, short walks from the train station. For more hotels, see Visit West Norfolk’s website.
- I am planning to drive to King’s Lynn. What parking arrangements are available near the train station and how much does it cost to park? There is an Indigo-operated car park at King’s Lynn train station with 95 spaces. The daily rate is £5.50.
- How frequently do trains arrive and depart from King’s Lynn train station? Direct services between King’s Lynn and London depart from Kings Cross every hour. For more information on times and fares please see National Rail Enquiries.
- What are the lunch arrangements? We plan to have lunch at The Parson Woodforde in Weston Longville.
- Who will be the guide/lead on tour? So that we can deliver the highest quality experience in collaboration with the best local experts, we are not yet able to confirm who will be leading this tour. Once you have booked on, however, we will confirm with you who will lead this tour nearer to the start date.
- How do I notify you of dietary requirements? You can notify us of any dietary requirements when making your booking online, over the phone or when completing a paper booking form. If we have not been able to capture your dietary requirements when making your booking then please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on 0800 206 1463.
- What is the cancellation/refund policy? If you are no longer able to make the tour after booking then please let us know as soon as possible. If you cancel your booking more than one month before the tour start date, then you will be entitled to a full refund. If you cancel within one month of your tour then unfortunately we are not able to offer a refund, however we will do our best to offer you a place on another tour.