HCT 2017 - A Medieval Trip around Beds and Bucks
Non Member: £60.00
Explore re-discovered medieval wall paintings and unaltered gems in this journey through Bedfordshire and Buckinghamshire.
Starting at St. Lawrence’s, Broughton, we’ll explore its stunningly detailed medieval wall paintings which were re-discovered in 1849. Will you see how they are illuminated by the rich Victorian stained glass? Our next stop, St Mary’s, Potsgrove, was rebuilt by J.D. Sedding in 1880. Here he features the font, the high-pitched roof over the 15th-century oak ceiling, and the tiny rocket-shaped spirelet.
Following on is St. Mary’s, Lower Gravenhurst. Much of this ironstone church has been left unaltered for over 600 years! Inside we’ll discover beautiful monuments and brasses which depict much of the church’s 17th century history. We end our medieval expedition in the Vale of Aylesbury and its towering landmark, St. Mary’s, Edlesborough. A treasure house of delights, the church includes a complete chancel screen, and amazing Victorian wall paintings and stained glass.
Travel: Collect coach from Milton Keynes train station, returning to train station by 18.00.
What’s Included: The price includes lunch, expert tour guides, pick up and drop off from the train station and travel between sites.
Please note: In the unlikely event that any of the above tour details need to be amended before the tour, guests will be informed immediately.
Contact: For booking enquiries please call 0800 206 1463. You’ll receive specific tour contact information nearer the time with your tour itinerary.
To book: Please note: to book more than one tour online, please complete a individual booking process for each tour. Alternatively, you can download and print a booking form and return it to us at The Churches Conservation Trust, Society Building, 8 All Saints Street, London, N1 9RL, or call us on 0800 206 1463 (Monday – Friday; 09:30-17:00).
A Medieval Trip Around Beds & Bucks FAQs
- What is the capacity on this tour? We’ve got enough space for 30 people. Book early to avoid disappointment.
- Where at Milton Keynes train station will we be meeting? We’ll be meeting outside the main entrance to the train station. Look out for a guide with a CCT lapel badge.
- I would like to stay in the local area the night before. Are there any hotels near Milton Keynes train station that you would recommend? Travelodge, Milton Keynes Central is a short taxi ride from the train station.
- I am planning to drive to the Milton Keynes. What parking arrangements are available near the train station and how much does it cost? Parking is available at the train station and costs £10.80 for the day.
- How frequently do trains arrive to and depart from Milton Keynes train station? Milton Keynes train station runs services to and from London Euston, Northampton, Manchester Piccadilly and other destinations. From London Euston the 09.20 arrives at 09.50. Leaving after 18.00 trains depart every 8-10 minutes, and take around 30-40 minutes back into London. For more information on times and fares please visit National Rail Enquiries or Trainline.
- What are the lunch arrangements? We’ll have sandwiches, fruit and tea or coffee at The Flying Horse, Clophill.
- What happens if I am no longer able to make the tour once I have made my booking? If you’re no longer able to make a tour after booking, then please let us know as soon as possible. If you cancel you’re booking more than 1 month before your tour, then you’ll be entitled to a full refund. If you cancel within 1 month of your tour, then unfortunately we’re not able to offer a refund, however we’ll do our best to offer you a place on another tour.