St Stephen's Church, Copley, West Yorkshire

Address:
North Dean Road, Halifax, West Yorkshire, HX4 8QA
How to find us | Access information
Opening times:
This church is currently closed until further notice - please contact Alison Pearce [email protected] for further information.
  • Overview
  • Map
  • What's nearby
  • Feedback

You can now donate by Text to support the vital work of the Churches Conservation Trust:

To donate £5 please send COY to 70970

To give £10 please send COY to 70191

 

A church built for mill workers

Set on an attractive wooded hillside above the Calder Valley, this neo-Gothic church was built in 1861-65 for woollen mill workers and faces the model village built by Col. Edward Akroyd for his factory employees. It is an early example of the work of the local architect W H Crossland, a pupil of Sir Gilbert Scott - tall and narrow with a polygonal apse and a bellcote over the east nave gable: an original building in a French inspired Gothic style.

Most of Crossland's fittings and decoration survive, as does the noteworthy sequence of stained glass in the apse by Hardman.