St Peter & St Paul's Church, Albury, Surrey
- What's on
- What's nearby
An ancient Saxon church in a lovely parkland setting
This charming, ancient church, dating from Saxon and Norman times, is a flint-walled gem, set amongst the trees of beautiful Albury Park above the gently running River Tilling. It is full of contrasts and surprises. Inside, you'll find: a light, limewashed uncluttered interior with a stunning medieval wall painting of St Christopher sporting a curly red beard; interesting monuments, including a brass of John Weston who died in 1440; an odd but delightful eighteenth-century shingled cupola over the tower. Another highlight is the South Chapel - this was remodelled by renowned Victorian architect A.W. Pugin, responsible for the interior of the Palace of Westminster.
He used his rich and colourful style here to create a dazzling mortuary chapel for Albury Park's Drummond family - this is lavishly decorated, with stained glass, painted walls and ceiling, and a magnificent tiled floor. Visiting in the spring when the blooming snowdrops carpet the churchyard with colour is a treat.
09 June 2018 - 09 June 2018
I have had a most rare vision. I have had a dream, past the wit of man to say what dream it was.”
09 June 2018 - 09 June 2018
"I have had a most rare vision. I have had a dream, past the wit of man to say what dream it was.”
Grass path to church. One small step over porch lintel then large step down into church. Drummond Chapel locked but viewable through screen.
Facilities & Hire
Due to the historic nature of our buildings, only a very small number of them have heating, running water or toilet facilities. The lighting is usually operated via a 'push button' timer or a motion sensor.
Five miles South East of Guildford off A248. Turn into minor road on sharp bend and then into private drive with lodge at entrance to Albury Park. Follow drive, fork left to church.
Nearest railway station: Chilworth (3 miles)
History & Further Information
Why not make your visit more enjoyable and informed by finding out about this church and the CCT before you visit? You can download a range of publications below including the relevant county guide, and any walk round guides we have for this church.Hampshire, Sussex & Surrey County Guide 2012
This free of charge short guide contains details of all the churches CCT cares for in Hampshire, Sussex & Surrey. Printed copies of the county guide are also available at the church.
The Friends of Albury Church
The Friends assist The Churches Conservation Trust in caring for the church, organising events and raising funds for the building's upkeep.
Telephone: 01483 202594
Other useful local links:
- Albury History Society: http://alburyhistory.org.uk/
- The Parish of Albury: http://www.alburychurches.org/saxon.html
- The Albury Parish Council website: http://www.albury.org.uk/
- Albury Park Mansions: http://alburyparkmansions.com/
- Visit Surrey tourism website: www.visitsurrey.com
- Surrey Hills Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty information: www.surreyhills.org
- Family Days out in Surrey: www.dayoutwiththekids.co.uk
- East Surrey Family History Society: www.eastsurreyfhs.org.uk
- West Surrey Family History Society: www.wsfhs.org
- Surrey Archaeological Society: www.surreyarchaeology.org.uk
- Surrey Churches Preservation Trust: www.surreychurchespreservationtrust.org
- List of churches in Surrey: www.achurchnearyou.com
- Surrey is in the Diocese of Guildford: www.cofeguildford.org.uk