Church of St Nicholas, Withernsea, Yorkshire
- What's nearby
In the 15th century the old village of Withernsea, along with the original parish church, was reclaimed by the sea after a series of storms and coastal errosion. Following the loss of the village and church, St Nicholas', and a new village were built on higher ground and further inland in 1448.
Like its medieval predecessor, St Nicholas has battled strong coastal weather and in 1609 during a storm, it lost its rood and fell into disrepair becoming a romantic ruin. It remained a ruin for over 200 years, until Owthorn church was lost to the sea in 1816. This resulted in a major restoration appeal to rebuild and repair St Nicholas'.
St Nicholas' was used for regular worship until 2013, being closed in 2014. It came into the care of Churches Conservation Trust in 2019 and is currently closed to the public whilst major repair and conservation work takes place.
A Victorian masterpiece returned to the community
A pair of eccentric churches
A strangely beautiful church
The church is currently closed for major repairs