St Nicholas' Church, Normanton, Lincolnshire
A fine medieval church masquerading as Victorian.
This delightful stone church has lovely views across rolling countryside. At first glance, it may appear to be Victorian but closer inspection reveals much earlier origins. The south arcade has arches that date back to the twelfth century, while the fourteenth-century tower has a row of intriguing animal head carvings beneath the parapet. A clerestory was added in the fifteenth century.
Much of the medieval carving remains, together with a seventeenth-century pulpit and Royal Arms of 1820.