St Mary's Church, Fleet Marston, Buckinghamshire

Address:
Fleet Marston, Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, HP18 0PZ
How to find us | Access information
Opening times:
Access is via the reclamation yard, which is open Mon to Fri, and there is currently no access outside these hours. For enquiries about this church, please contact Karen Moore on 07876 324 554 or kmoore@thecct.org.uk
  • Overview
  • Map
  • What's nearby
  • Feedback

A medieval church where John Wesley preached

This isolated medieval church is set on a small hillock a few minutes walk away from the Aylesbury to Bicester road. Surrounded by trees, in the middle of fields, it consists only of a nave, chancel, and porch. The village it served has long since disappeared, although Methodist founder John Wesley preached here soon after he was ordained, and the church was restored by Sir G Gilbert Scott in 1868.

The church was built in the twelfth and thirteenth centuries, probably on the site of an earlier church. There is a quaint Norman font, a beautiful chancel arch rebuilt in the fourteenth century, and a fine fifteenth-century queen-post roof over the nave.

Comment