Church of St Margaret of Antioch, Leigh Delamere, Wiltshire

Address:
Leigh Delamere, Chippenham, Wiltshire, SN14 6JZ
How to find us | Access information
Opening times:
Open daily
  • Overview
  • Map
  • What's nearby
  • Feedback

A dramatic Victorian confection

James Thomson (who also designed nearby Grittleton House) built this church in 1846, built using parts of its twelfth-century predecessor, such as the splendid bell-cote which can now be seen at Sevington School one mile to the west.

The rest is impressively dramatic. The Gothic gloom of the chancel, with its extravagant reredos, carved and decorated in many colours, contrasts with the tremendous colours of the great west window by Wilmshurst.

Comment