Church of St John the Baptist, Parsons Drove, Cambridgeshire

Address:
Main Road, Wisbech, Cambridgeshire, PE13 4LF
How to find us | Access information
Opening times:
Church open daily from 10 am until 4pm. For enquiries about this church, please contact Karen Moore on 07876 324 554 or [email protected]
  • Overview
  • Map
  • What's nearby
  • Feedback

A Fenland church filled with faces

This medieval Fenland church is filled with light and numerous carved faces peering out of the stonework. The north aisle has a thirteenth-century doorway and fourteenth-century windows. The noble nave arcades and the west tower, with its superb stone-panelled arch and vaulted ceiling, are from the fifteenth century.

Tradition has it that the chancel was destroyed by a flood in 1613 and the south aisle was largely rebuilt in about 1800. There is also a Perpendicular period octagonal font and a pulpit from 1677. The churchyard has some intricately detailed gravestones and an obelisk to John Peck, the parish constable (who died in 1851).

Parsons Drove Guide

To donate by text, please text 'PDR' to 70970 to donate £5 and to 70191 to donate £10. Thank you.