St Andrew's Church, Sapiston, Suffolk
- What's on
- What's nearby
Remains of a long vanished village
This isolated, homely church stands at the end of a long track on the site of a vanished village. The chancel, nave and square west tower date from the fourteenth century - but the church also has a beautifully carved Norman doorway and thirteenth-century font.
09 September 2018 - 09 September 2018
A favourite autumn service
In open Countryside. The church is half a mile down an unmade up bridle way. There may be rough grass in the churchyard. There is a step into the church.
Facilities & Hire
Due to the historic nature of our buildings, this church has natural lighting only. There is no heating, running water or toilet facilities.
7 miles south-east of Thetford. From the A1088 in Honington take Sapiston Road to Sapiston and follow the Historic Church sign along Hilly Close to the church.
Nearest railway station: Thetford (5.8 miles)
History & Further Information
Why not make your visit more enjoyable and informed by finding out more about this church before you visit? You can download a range of publications below including the relevant county guide, and any walk round guides we have for this church.Suffolk County Guide 2012
This free of charge short guide contains details of all the churches we care for in Suffolk. Printed copies of the county guide are also available at the church.
Useful local links:
- Visit Suffolk tourism website: www.visitsuffolk.com
- Suffolk Tourist guide website: www.suffolktouristguide.com
- Family Days out in Suffolk: www.dayoutwiththekids.co.uk
- Suffolk Local History Council: www.slhc.org.uk
- Suffolk Family History Society: www.suffolkfhs.co.uk
- Suffolk Churches website: www.suffolkchurches.co.uk
- Suffolk Institute of Archaeology & History: www.suffolkarch.org.uk
- Suffolk Historic Churches Trust: www.shct.org.uk