Low Ham Church, Somerset
- What's on
- What's nearby
This Grade I building is known locally as the Church in the Field. The building we see today, beautifully isolated in the rolling countryside, was constructed around 1620 by Sir Edward Hext, Lord of the Manor.
Writings by the rector of High Ham in the 16th century suggest two earlier churches existed on the same site. A wall found during recent repair works – which will need further research – may also suggest the possibility of a prior church. There is evidence of Roman occupation in the area; the remains of a Roman villa were excavated nearby in 1946.
In 1645, the church suffered damage during the Battle of Langport, one of the most significant conflicts of the Civil War, which resulted in the Parliamentarians taking control of the West of England.
Low Ham’s church is a rare building in that features a Gothic style and yet was constructed in the late 17th century. Inside, visitors can see 17th-century fabric, fine floors, pews and glass.
Hext’s grandson, George Stawell, had the building repaired and consecrated in 1668 and in 1921 the church was given in trust to the Church of England. We acquired the church in 2017 and following conservation work on the building the church is now once more open to the public.
Photo: Phil Draper (ChurchCrawler)
23 November 2019 - 23 November 2019
Start your Christmas shopping early at this Christmas Fair!
'Hunky Punks' and the best stained glass in Somerset
A landmark for travellers
A church with ancient foundations
Low Ham is literally in a field next to a farm yard. There isn’t a specific car park but you can pull up in the farm near the church. Visitors should be aware that it is a working farm so will need to park responsibly and be careful of moving vehicles and livestock.
Facilities & Hire
No toilets available. No electricity.
14 miles from Bridgwater. 40 miles from Bristol (A37)
Nearest bus station is Fouracres (22 minutes' walk from the church)
- Community information