Christ Church, Macclesfield, Cheshire

Address:
Bridge Street, Macclesfield, Cheshire, SK11 6EG
How to find us
Opening times:
To access this site please contact the Roenaissance Project at theroenaissanceproject@gmail.com or 07967 585 335
  • Overview
  • Map
  • What's nearby
  • Feedback

An engineering marvel

Built in 1775 by local industrialist Charles Roe, Christ Church was constructed of brick, using innovative cast iron columns to support the galleries.This is a very early use of cast iron in a church and may reflect Roe's innovative and entrepreneurial character.

The east window glass was given in memory of Charles Roe's son, daughter-in-law and grandson, and Roe's ornate monument, in marble, is on the south wall. It lists a detailed description of his achievements and shows in relief his silk mill (with waterwheel), his copper works in Liverpool, and Christ Church itself.

The interior resembles a modern concert hall designed so that the congregation could all see and hear the preacher. The original pulpit was more than 3.5 metres high, allowing the preacher to command the attention of his congregation throughout this large church. John Wesley, the founder of Methodism preached from this pulpit at least 12 times. Though now somewhat altered, the pulpit still survives. The outspoken preacher David Simpson, a radical socialist who championed the cause of the poor and helped found the Sunday School Movement was the much-loved first minister of Christ Church. A window depicting the Good Samaritan, commemorates him.

The church has a fine ring of 10 bells, which are still used regularly.