Historic Church Tours 2021: Celebrating a Millennia around Bury St Edmunds
Non Member: £75.00
An exciting opportunity to explore local heritage after the 1000th Anniversary Year of the Abbey of Bury St Edmunds.
In the Reformation the Abbey was almost razed to the ground, leaving substantial ruins but a place of worship has been situated on this site for nearly 1000 years and St Edmundsbury Cathedral will be our first stop on this tour. Despite having origins in the 11th century it was not until 1914 that the Diocese of St Edmundsbury and Ipswich was formed and the Parish Church became a Cathedral. Enjoy discovering the rich history of this building that continues to evolve. The nave of today's Cathedral is the successor of St James’ church built in 1503, and recent years have seen the addition of the Millennium Tower, completed in 2005, and its magnificent painted and gilded vault, added in 2010.
Next we will visit All Saints', Icklingham - an unspoilt thatched church, built largely in the fourteenth century although it is of Norman origin. The church is a treasure house of local craftsmanship which is reflected in the very high quality of every feature of the church.
We will then move onto the Norman church of All Saints', Wordwell. Wordwell's population has been diminutive and by 1757 the church only served the three occupants of Wordwell Hall. However All Saints' was not forgotten and was restored by the Victorians in the mid 19th century. Original stone carvings and the Norman door remain and one of the great treasures of this church is its series of magnificently carved 15th century benches.
Our final stop will be St Andrew’s, Sapiston, an isolated, homely church standing at the end of a long track on the site of a vanished village. The chancel, nave and square west tower date from the fourteenth century. Enjoy the beautifully carved Norman doorway and thirteenth-century font.
Celebrating a Millennia Around Bury St Edmunds FAQs
- What is the tour capacity? We have enough room for 20 guests on this tour, so book early to avoid disappointment!
- Where at Bury St Edmunds train station will we be meeting? We will be meeting outside the main entrance to the train station.
- I would like to stay in the local area the night before. Are there any hotels near the train station that you would recommend? There is a Travelodge a short walk from the station and many inns in the town centre.
- I am planning to drive to Bury St Edmunds. What parking arrangements are available near the train station and how much does it cost to park? There is a NCP-operated car park at Bury St Edmunds train station with 23 spaces. Its daily charge is £4.20. There is another car park on St Andrew’s Street.
- How frequently do trains arrive and depart from Bury St Edmunds train station? Services between Bury St Edmunds and London depart from London Liverpool Street twice an hour and include a changeover at either Cambridge or Ipswich. Bury St Edmund’s is served by direct services from Peterborough. For more information on times and fares please see National Rail Enquiries.
- What are the lunch arrangements? We are currently finalising the lunch arrangements for the tour. We will be able to confirm the lunch venue with attendees nearer to the start date.
- Who will be the guide/lead on tour? So that we can deliver the highest quality experience in collaboration with the best local experts, we are not yet able to confirm who will be leading this tour. However, we will confirm with attendees who will lead this tour nearer to the start date.
- How do I notify you of dietary requirements? You can notify us of any dietary requirements when making your booking over the phone or when completing a paper booking form. If we have not been able to capture your dietary requirements when making your booking then please email us at [email protected] or call us on 0800 206 1463.
- What is the cancellation/refund policy? If you are no longer able to make the tour after booking then please let us know as soon as possible. If you cancel your booking more than one month before the tour start date, then you will be entitled to a full refund. If you cancel within one month of your tour then unfortunately we are not able to offer a refund, however we will do our best to offer you a place on another tour.