Historic Church Tours 2021: Stained Glass of Shrewsbury
Non Member: £65.00
Discover world famous stained glass spanning six centuries on this walking tour of Shrewsbury.
Please note all tours will be assessed for Covid safety in line with any Government directions that apply at that point in time with full refunds available in the event of cancellation.
Situated in the heart of Shrewsbury our first stop is St Alkmund’s. Founded about the year 900 of the medieval church only the tower and spire remain as St Alkmund’s was demolished in the 1790s, following the collapse of Old St Chad’s, which we will visit later in the day. Local architect, John Carline, was commissioned to build a new church in the Gothic Revival style. Carline built twelve identical windows made with the latest technology of the period and three of these magnificent windows have survived to this day.
Just a short walk and we will next arrive at Shrewsbury Unitarian Church. Rebuilt in 1840 this 19th century façade masks a fascinating history. Founded by dissenters in 1662 the church later welcomed a young Charles Darwin who worshipped here as a boy and Samuel Coleridge who preached a sermon here.
We will stop to take in the 1788 ruin of Old St Chad’s, before moving onto the fantastic Shrewsbury Cathedral which is home to some of the world’s most admired stained glass. Keep a particular eye out for the Arts and Crafts inspired work of Margaret Rope, a rebellious Victorian artist who later became a nun. Looking closely at the glass you can see the unusual addition of a London bus!
Our final stop, St Mary the Virgin, is one of the jewels in our collection. From the outside, you can see how the church dominates the town’s skyline; its spire is one of the tallest in England. However, it is inside St Mary the Virgin where you will find its greatest treasures. Medieval stone carvings, soaring arches and the world famous stained glass ‘Jesse window’ are just some of the delights we will discover as we explore the church.
Stained Glass of Shrewsbury FAQs
- What is the tour capacity? We have enough room for 20 guests on this tour, so book early to avoid disappointment!
- Where at Shrewsbury train station will we be meeting? We will be meeting outside the main entrance to the train station.
- I would like to stay in the local area the night before. Are there any hotels near the train station that you would recommend? Premier Inn Shrewsbury Town Centre is a short walk from the train station. For more hotels, see Visit Shrewsbury’s website.
- I am planning to drive to Shrewsbury. What parking arrangements are available near the train station and how much does it cost to park? There is a NCP-operated car park at Shrewsbury train station with 190 spaces. Its daily charge is £5.30.
- How frequently do trains arrive and depart from Shrewsbury train station? Services between Shrewsbury and London depart from Euston every 30 minutes and includes a changeover at either Crewe or Birmingham New Street. Shrewsbury is served by direct services from other stations including Manchester Piccadilly, Cardiff Central and Birmingham International. For more information on times and fares please see National Rail Enquiries.
- What are the lunch arrangements? We are currently finalising the lunch arrangements for the tour. We will be able to confirm the lunch venue with attendees nearer to the start date.
- Who will be the guide/lead on tour? So that we can deliver the highest quality experience in collaboration with the best local experts, we are not yet able to confirm who will be leading this tour. However, we will confirm with attendees who will lead this tour nearer to the start date.
- How do I notify you of dietary requirements? You can notify us of any dietary requirements when making your booking over the phone or when completing a paper booking form. If we have not been able to capture your dietary requirements when making your booking then please email us at [email protected] or call us on 0800 206 1463.
- What is the cancellation/refund policy? If you are no longer able to make the tour after booking then please let us know as soon as possible. If you cancel your booking more than one month before the tour start date, then you will be entitled to a full refund. If you cancel within one month of your tour then unfortunately we are not able to offer a refund, however we will do our best to offer you a place on another tour.