Historic Church Tours 2019 - Stamford and the Tudor Queens
Non Member: £70.00
Explore three medieval churches in Stamford plus Peterborough Cathedral, burial place of two queens.
We start the day with a guided tour of Peterborough Cathedral, one of the finest Norman cathedrals and burial place of Katharine of Aragon and Mary Queen of Scots. Formed in 654 AD, it became one of the most signifcant medieval abbeys in the country before being ravaged by the troops of Oliver Cromwell during the Civil War.
Our second visit of the day takes us into Stamford and our church of St. John’s. This imposing medieval church is a notable local landmark thanks to its well-proportioned pinnacle tower. Make sure to look to the skies once inside to spot a magnificent blessing of angels and green men.
The 15th-century church of St. George’s is our penultimate stop on the tour. Its interior underwent restoration in the 19th century, which included the removal of the pews and the building of a new pulpit. St. George’s is purported to be the original church of the Order of the Garter and is the resting place of William of Bruges, the first Garter King of Arms.
We conclude our tour of medieval Stamford at the church of St. Mary’s. Originally built in the 12th century, later additions include the tower and its spire. One of glories of the church, which we will get to explore in detail, is its Corpus Christi Chapel which dates from the late 1400s.
Please note that on all of our tours there is at the very at least a fair amount of walking, quite often over uneven and worn surfaces. They are not suitable for anyone with difficulties with everyday walking and stair-climbing. In some cases coaches may not be able to park near the church and there may be walking over uneven land or tracks when approaching the church building. If you have any concerns please contact us on 0800 206 1463 before booking.
NB. Originally advertised as Stamford and the Cecils, our visit to Peterborough Cathedral replaces a visit to Burghley House which we are now no longer able to make. We apologise for any disappointment.
Stamford and the Tudor Queens FAQs
- What is the tour capacity? We have enough room for 20 guests on this tour, so book early to avoid disappointment!
- Where at Peterborough train station will we be meeting? We will be meeting outside the main entrance to the train station on Station Road.
- I would like to stay in the local area the night before. Are there any hotels near the train station that you would recommend? The Great Northern Hotel is situated across the road from the train station. For more hotels, see Visit Peterborough’s website.
- I am planning to drive to Peterborough. What parking arrangements are available near the train station and how much does it cost to park? Peterborough train station’s main stay car park has 731 spaces and a flat rate of £7.00 from 10.00. Alternative parking can be found nearby at Queensgate Shopping Centre.
- How frequently do trains arrive and depart from Peterborough train station? Direct services between Peterborough and London depart from Paddington every hour. Peterborough is also served by direct services from other stations including Leeds, Liverpool Lime Street and Norwich. For more information on times and fares please see National Rail Enquiries.
- What are the lunch arrangements? This will be confirmed nearer to the start date.
- Who will be the guide/lead on tour? So that we can deliver the highest quality experience in collaboration with the best local experts, we are not yet able to confirm who will be leading this tour. Once you have booked on, however, we will confirm with you who will lead this tour nearer to the start date.
- How do I notify you of dietary requirements? You can notify us of any dietary requirements when making your booking online, over the phone or when completing a paper booking form. If we have not been able to capture your dietary requirements when making your booking then please email us at email@example.com or call us on 0800 206 1463.
- What is the cancellation/refund policy? If you are no longer able to make the tour after booking then please let us know as soon as possible. If you cancel your booking more than one month before the tour start date, then you will be entitled to a full refund. If you cancel within one month of your tour then unfortunately we are not able to offer a refund, however we will do our best to offer you a place on another tour.