Historic Church Tours 2019 - A Wiltshire Christmas
Non Member: £70.00
Experience a traditional Wiltshire Christmas with three picturesque historic churches. Along the way you can expect a carol concert and mince pies before finishing at a festive Salisbury Cathedral.
St. Mary’s Old Church is a memorial to the people of Wilton. Superseded by a new Italianate church in 1845, all that now remains of the Old Church is the chancel with one bay of the nave. Take the chance to walk through the romantic ruins of its arcades and tower arch and imagine how this church may have stood centuries ago.
The tour then takes us into the Wylye Valley to the church of St Nicholas’ in Fisherton Delamere. There has been a church here since Norman times and the font in the church today dates from that period. However, the current building was built in the fourteenth century and then largely rebuilt in the medieval style in the nineteenth century, using the original materials. The church is a convenient stopping point for walkers and offers picturesque views across the valley.
After lunch we move on to our penultimate stop, All Saints’ Church in Idmiston. All Saints’ is an imposing medieval church with a remarkable collection of medieval carvings including an array of fearsome gargoyles around the building’s exterior (will you find them all?).
The tour finishes at a festive Salisbury Cathedral. Considered one of the finest examples of Early English architecture, the cathedral incredibly only took 38 years to complete. With plenty of activities taking place across the cathedral to celebrate the festive season, this is the perfect ending to firmly put you into the Christmas spirit.
Please note that on all of our tours there is at the very at least a fair amount of walking, quite often over uneven and worn surfaces. They are not suitable for anyone with difficulties with everyday walking and stair-climbing. In some cases coaches may not be able to park near the church and there may be walking over uneven land or tracks when approaching the church building. If you have any concerns please contact us on 0800 206 1463 before booking.
A Wiltshire Christmas FAQs
- What is the tour capacity? We have enough room for 20 guests on this tour, so book early to avoid disappointment!
- Where at Salisbury train station will we be meeting? We will be meeting outside the main entrance to the train station on the ground floor.
- I would like to stay in the local area the night before. Are there any hotels near the train station that you would recommend? Best Western Red Lion Hotel and the Mercure White Hart Hotel are situated in Salisbury city centre, a short taxi from the train station. For more hotels, see Visit Salisbury’s website.
- I am planning to drive to Salisbury. What parking arrangements are available near the train station and how much does it cost to park? The car park at Salisbury train station has 287 spaces. The day rate is £8.50.
- How frequently do trains arrive and depart from Salisbury train station? Direct services between Salisbury and London depart from Waterloo every hour. Salisbury is also served by direct services from other stations including Southampton Central, Cardiff Central and Exeter St. David’s. For more information on times and fares please see National Rail Enquiries.
- What are the lunch arrangements? This will be confirmed nearer to the start date.
- Who will be the guide/lead on tour? So that we can deliver the highest quality experience in collaboration with the best local experts, we are not yet able to confirm who will be leading this tour. Once you have booked on, however, we will confirm with you who will lead this tour nearer to the start date.
- How do I notify you of dietary requirements? You can notify us of any dietary requirements when making your booking online, over the phone or when completing a paper booking form. If we have not been able to capture your dietary requirements when making your booking then please email us at email@example.com or call us on 0800 206 1463.
- What is the cancellation/refund policy? If you are no longer able to make the tour after booking then please let us know as soon as possible. If you cancel your booking more than one month before the tour start date, then you will be entitled to a full refund. If you cancel within one month of your tour then unfortunately we are not able to offer a refund, however we will do our best to offer you a place on another tour.