St Bartholemew's Church, Richards Castle, Herefordshire

Address:
Richards Castle, Nr Ludlow, Herefordshire, SY8 4ET
How to find us | Access information
Opening times:
Open daily
  • Overview
  • Map
  • What's nearby
  • Feedback

A Medieval church and Knights Templar chapel

This twelfth-century church, perched high above the village, is next to one of the earliest Marcher'; castles built by Norman overlords to defend the Anglo-Welsh border.

The detached bell tower, dating from around 1400, was probably part of the castle's defences. Inside, the church has hardly been touched since Georgian times. It is the muted and faded colours as well as the architectural vistas that make this building so beautiful and quietly atmospheric.

There are marvellous furnishings including Georgian box pews, a gallery and a seventeenth-century canopied pew for the Salweys, Lords of the Manor, and still used by them at the two or three services held each year.

Visit on a clear day and enjoy amazing views from the porch all the way to the Black Mountains and the Malvern Hills.

Comment