The first record of St Swithun's in Worcester is from 1126 when Bishop Eudo granted permission to a nearby Benedictine monastery for a church to be built on this land. The church at this time would have been built in Norman Romanesque style and several traces of this style have been found in the current fabric of the south wall. There is a stone which looks like it was part of a repeating X O pattern and another which has the classic Norman zig-zag pattern on it. A Norman vousoir stone was reputedly found when a new door was knocked through the north wall in the early 1900s. The south wall is largely rebuilt of medieval material whereas the north wall appears to still be a standing medieval wall modified to accommodate the 18th century windows.
Some local researchers think that the church’s location within the Saxon town boundary and the dedication to St Swithun mean that there could have been a church on this site in the Saxon era. There is currently no documentary or physical evidence to support this theory other than the dedication and location but it remains a possibility.
The tower is 15th century but was remodelled when the nave was rebuilt in the 1730s. There are medieval timbers in the roof which appear to have been taken from the interior of the medieval church as they have some decorative moulding.
Many of the tiles on the roof are also medieval.