Volunteer Interpretation Assistant (Online). Wiltshire and North Somerset
About the role:
The Churches Conservation Trust is commited to producing interesting and engaging online content relevant to our churches, and has been using Izi Travel to host short audio ‘walk around guides’. We are seeking volunteers with an interest in interpreting historic church buildings who can work remotely with local volunteers and communities to produce more of these online audio guides. These ‘virtual tours’ could also be created on Google Tours. This is a Covid-19 safe volunteer role as all activity can be conducted online from home.
Main purpose of the role: To write, design and produce a virtual church “walk around guide” which will provide a brief history of the church and point out items of interest to visitors. Currently the preferred format for this is an audio guide using izi.travel but google tours could also be used.
Range of tasks to be carried out:
• Taking information from various sources (old church guidebook, historical notes, advice from local volunteers and other external sources) you will work with the Local Community Officer and other church based volunteers to draft content for a “walk around guide”.
• Once a script for the walk around guide is agreed you’ll be responsible for capturing and editing audio recordings of the script (either spoken by yourself or identifying others to) using what hardware and software you have available (free editing software is available, and you can use a smartphone for audio recording)
• Uploading the audio and written content, and sourcing or taking pictures to upload to the Izi Travel website ready for feedback and to be approved by all parties involved.
• Publishing the final guide and thanking the volunteers invovled.
• Providing advice and ideas to the CCT for future interpretation projects at the church.
• To be an active member of the volunteer team, supporting other volunteers and attending training workshops when required.
• Be familiar with and follow the Trust’s Health & Safety policy at all times.
Flexible. This is a fixed term project, the end point of which would be the production of the church walk around guide. A guideline timeframe might be an evening a week for 8 weeks.
Skills and resources required:
This role would be suitable for a creative person with strong written communication skills, IT skills (MS Word, photo and audio editing), and ideally access to a smartphone (for audio recording and pictures) and a computer with access to the internet. An interest in history and tourism would be an advantage. Experience in historical research, marketing or design roles and writing or editing public facing materials would be useful. This role would provide excellent experience for anyone wanting to gain experience in interpretation or visitor facing role in the heritage sector.
You will receive one to one support from your Local Community Officer. CCT brand guidelines and examples of previous guides will be provided. Additional support will be identified during induction and reviewed at regular intervals.
You will be required to attend a general induction and a health and safety induction. Other training needs will be reviewed with you at regular intervals.