Event Facilitator Volunteer - Exeter
Do you enjoy public speaking and meeting people? Are you interested in history and enjoy listening to inspiring choral music? If so, we have the perfect volunteer role for you!
We are currently looking for volunteers to help facilitate candle-lit choral concerts at St Martin’s Church in Exeter on a regular basis on Monday evenings, April – October 2019.
St Martin’s is one of the oldest churches in Exeter, consecrated a year before the Norman conquest in 1066. It is located in the Cathedral Close in the heart of this historic city. Since 2016 we have been successfully running regular private concerts April – October to groups of overseas tourists (mainly North American) in partnership with a major tour operator. Every penny that we make from activities like these concerts ensures that future generations can continue to enjoy these magnificent ancient buildings.
We are looking to expand the number of volunteer facilitators to manage these regular events, which includes welcoming groups on behalf of the CCT, telling them about the history of this important church, and presiding over private candle-lit concerts.
In return volunteers get to enjoy a wonderful concert in an ancient church and meet interesting overseas travellers and other like-minded volunteers.
To help facilitate weekly (Monday) tours at St Martin’s Church in Exeter, April – October 2019 (dates to be advised), approximately 17:45 – 19:45, on a rota basis.
To join a small existing team of Event Facilitator volunteers already helping with these events. We hope to recruit enough additional volunteers to have two volunteers facilitating and sharing duties at each event.
Key activities may include the following:
- Being a key-holder and unlocking the Church prior to, and locking up after, each event
- Ensuring that the interior of the Church is tidy ahead of the events
- Setting up/packing away candles and leaflets, and lighting and extinguishing candles at the start and end of each event
- Welcoming tour leaders and tour groups and providing a brief introduction to the Church and its history (a script will be provided)
- Collecting event vouchers from the tour leaders and recording the number of attendees in the Visitor Book
- Encouraging, collecting, recording and securing donations
- Preventing the public from accessing the church during these private events
- Following the procedures and standards for volunteer activities
- Serving as good will ambassadors for the Trust
- Being an active part of the volunteer team, supporting your peers and attending training workshops where necessary.
- Being familiar with and following the Trust’s Health and Safety Policy and ensure safety and security procedures are followed at all times
- Must be based in or near to Exeter
- Must be flexible and available on Mondays, April – October 2019. Scheduled dates will be part of an evolving rota. Availability at short notice would be an advantage.
- Must enjoy public-speaking and meeting people, and be reliable and comfortable working under your own initiative.
- Be willing to be a key-holder, opening and closing the church before and after concerts with health & safety and security in mind. Prevent the public from accessing the church, as these are private events.
- A knowledge of the City of Exeter and its history would be an advantage.
Flexible: However we hope that that you would be available to facilitate a minimum of 3 events per month, April – October.
Training and support:
All volunteers will have an induction to their role and to St Martin’s Church to discuss any relevant policies and procedures. They will also receive ‘in role’ training from existing volunteers currently facilitating these events. Other training opportunities and volunteer events will be advertised via regular CCT volunteer communications, or you would be contacted directly about training relating to your role.
Volunteers will be supported principally by CCT staff including your Volunteering Officer, as well as by other members of the St Martin’s Church volunteer team. All volunteers will be expected to positively promote the CCT.
Applicants will be asked to provide Referee details.
If you like the sound of this role please get in touch.